Flusser Response

You’re a man looking at the world through a keyhole. You’ve spent your whole life trying to widen that keyhole… to see more, to know more. And now, on hearing that it can be widened, in ways you can’t imagine, you reject the possibility.   -Ancient One 

I was the man looking at the world through a keyhole. I know it sounds cheesy and cliché but after reading this article my eyes have been opened to new way of looking at art and the tools I use. For lack of a better way to put it this article was a mind fuck on the first go around. There were a lot of abstract ideas and terminology being thrown around I really didn’t understand. My camera worked against me? Complexities of color? All a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Then on my fourth go around things started to click into place. Things I thought I had to swing wide for I just had to think about in a particle manner. Of course, I don’t do the same job as my camera, a machine cannot be human, only at its best can it be humanlike. It is a machine that captures an image through processes I can’t even begin to imagine and then saving them in a format I am incapable of viewing without the assistance of another machine. As an artist I hold a “picture” in my mind of what I want and I try to express that trough my photography but the camera doesn’t know what I’m thinking so it captures the image of what it sees.  

True art is made by finding a happy medium. By finding a balance between man and machine a composition is formed and from that composition human perception creates art. Human perception is where the line between composition and art becomes blurred. I can spend hours creating the perfect lighting and arrangement of my subjects but at the end of the day it’s what other people perceive to be art that is considered art. Take the Dadaism art movement for example. Someone took an old Urinal signed his name and put it on display as art and people loved it. How we see things is incredibly important, like the article said the color green we see is not the same that we see in a color photo. The things we see go through a number of changes and processes to reach the final digital product. These changes are complex but very important to the artistic process. Through the capture of light and visual information a photograph is born. The article sees this as a deep and world changing process but it’s really not, it’s just a process that needs to be respected because of how it affects your final outcome.