A&D Reading 3

Design has many definitions by many different people. Some take knowledge of the latin origin of design whereas others take knowledge of the english word. The word design “deriving from the word signum meaning ‘sign’” (Flusser 55). The english word referring to both a noun and a verb. The noun of design “mean[ing]- among other things- ‘intention’, ‘plan’, ‘intent’, ‘aim’, ‘scheme’, ‘plot’, ‘motif’, ‘basic structure’, all these being connected with ‘cunning’ and ‘deception’” (Flusser 55). The verb of design meaning “‘to concoct something’, ‘to simulate’, ‘to draft’, ‘to sketch’, ‘to fashion’, ‘to have designs on something’” (Flusser 55). There are people however that see design as not a word but as a “problem-solving activity” (Rand 34). In Foster’s article they even talk about the different types of design such as contemporary design and total design(66-72).

These multiple definitions of design affect how we see design because it “makes us aware that all culture is trickery, that we are tricksters tricked and that any involvement with culture is the same thing as self-deception” (Flusser 57). In his article, Greenberg talks about the idea of minimal design and his takes on the art/design and what the artist was or may have really been going for (26). Greenberg’s article shows a persons idea of design and how it differs compared to the other articles that just say it.

I feel that as a designer, I do not take into account the different definitions that people talk about. By being aware of these different definitions, I think I will be more aware of what I am creating and how it fits in with who I am working for/with. I can also be aware of this when I am just practicing/messing around. Right now, I work on my creative muscles and by drawing small sketches and ideas that come to mind. I also like to “goof-around’ and take an object or event and try to create designs of my own with these in mind. Although they are not for anything, they help me use my creative mind to generate ideas.