Blog Post #3

The one piece I love from today is a cartoon called Steven Universe, made by Rebecca Sugar, an animator and songwriter. Steven Universe is an animated series about a young boy and his three magical alien guardians, the Crystal Gems. What makes this cartoon special is that it is Cartoon Network’s first animated series to be created solely by a woman. I like watching the cartoon for its story line as well as the use of color in it, as it is used effectively to convey the mood and attract the audience. (Its main theme is pastel/soft colors to appeal to children, but uses darks as well.) This cartoon also covers some real-world themes, such as mental issues, abusive relationships, and sexuality, to help kids and teenagers who are tackling these problems themselves, whether it’s with self or their families/friends. I am a fan of Steven Universe, and some of Rebecca’s other works, as she has done other animations and wrote songs for a show called Adventure Time. This is one of the few artist pieces that I like that inspire me to keep doing cartoons, my main interest.

Design of Steven Universe before is was put on air as a series

A scene in Steven Universe, where soft colors are used in a sunset background

A nighttime background in the series, further showing use of soft colors.

Published by

kkitchen

Class of 2021, graphic design major with an animation minor.