Reading Response #3

Reading 3 | Design Noun/Verb

1. Based on the readings the word design comes with many definitions. Across all the readings some examples of these differences include Greenberg’s perspective of what “good design” is and how we should rise above it, Paul Rand’s definition of design as a problem solving activity, Vilem Flusser’s view of design as being deceptive and bridging art and technology , and lastly  Hal Foster’s focus on the political economy of design.

2. The multiple definitions of this singular word effects how we perceive design because it formulates new connotations to the word and makes the word correspond to different functions and processes. When design is perceived as problem solving this differs from the idea that design is a creative process used for expression. The various interpretations of design influences further outcome of usage of design principles.

Personal Reflection:

1. I could better prepare myself as a maker of aesthetic objects/ideas through consistent practice of drawing and sketching and also thorough mental investigation of ideas that come to me. I should write all of my thoughts and concepts down and depict my thoughts through art.

2. Things I currently do to practice my creative muscle include drawing something every other day, experiment with new styles and techniques of art, and investigate and observe other artist’s work and how they use their mediums.