Blog Post #11

Part 1: Faculty Presentations

Bill Kennedy takes photographs of random subjects and places them in photoshop where he deconstructs them and then formulates the figures and colors back together to form a brand new composition. Bill likes to experiment with his printing and his work is extremely intriguing. It is interesting how each image is so unique and structured from pictures that do not look anything like the final product. I appreciate how Bill, although trained as a photo journalist, experiments with abstraction and deconstruction in his softwares.

Hollis has done a lot of work pertaining to storms and collections of objects. Her art is incredibly detailed and very impressive. The scale of her work varies greatly and her installations are very intricate. The structure of her pieces employ a cluster of items that in the end create a unity and conceptual scheme.

Alex composes pieces that depict minimalistic forms. Her work is very experienced based and she executes her conceptual agenda through utilizing line, shape, and form. Her work highlights the beauty within “nothing” and opened my eyes to the subtly art can convey.

Tammy pairs items that really exist and items that do not exist at all. In her pieces she does this by formulating slip-cast sculptures that explore this contrast of real and imaginary. She likes to formulate pieces that have a magical undertone and likes to explore the concept of having perceptions associated with forms. She creates pieces that make you want to touch it, but you can’t. Her use of tactility tempts the viewer to want to get close to her pieces. Tammy’s work is masterfully crafted and intrigues the viewer.

Joe demonstrates portraits of individuals in rural areas. The black and white compositions are well done and gifts the viewer with a specific tone created from the rural atmosphere. He documents the farming country and the pictures have great depth and are well executed. His work explores the cattle industry and ranchers and it visually triggers emotions.

Part 2: 5-year plan

4 years- complete bachelors degree at St Edwards and do many internships

5th- begin job in field of design after completing internships and developing skill

My long term goals beyond college are to incorporate design into my career and make a good income. To accomplish those goals I need to build my portfolio, better my self-advertising (selling myself), and hone in on my skills.