VISU1311: Creativity Blog #1.

When I first read the title of “The Photograph” I had thought that it was just about a certain photograph and the author’s experiences with it. As soon as I got through the first sentence I realized it was about all photographs but more focused on just black and white. In the past I did not realize how someone could retain so much from a black and white photo but now I can understand the different concepts. This reading made me take a second look at how I should look at photography and helped me to understand black and white photography a little bit more.

I am a person who prefers shooting regular digital colored photos than black and white but, I attained that black and white photos can more clearly reveal the significance of the photograph by showing details without the concepts of actual colors. I connected with the author by agreeing with his view on how people who think photos are just “states of things reflected onto surfaces” are naïve and plain thinkers. The phrase “beauty of the conceptual universe” was used to describe black and white photos, the author also talks about how black and white cannot be real but how it should be because then things would all be interpreted differently. This reading challenged me psychologically because it made me realize how people can see pictures in a different way and have different retentions from seeing it, especially black and white.

I admired his view on the intentions of photographers because it really showed what a photographer wants to or actually does achieve when going out and taking pictures. In summary, photographers want to show the world their concept of it all and to have models (photographs) that prove their point or to have someone see it from their point of view. Photographers want to forever be remembered by everyone for their work and I agree with that because I am the exact same way. I want my photos to be remembered and for me to be thought of when people see them. I also correlated with how the author said “Society is used as a feedback mechanism for a photographer’s work” because in the end, that is who ultimately judges your work.

The reading helped shed a light on black and white photography and how it is often underrated. People have different concepts of photos and the author had a very interesting point of view. In the past I did not realize how someone could retain so much from a black and white photo but now I can understand the different concepts. The passage helped me to comprehend concepts of black and white photography and to look for a bigger meaning. All in all, the text provided made me want to take a look at photography in a different perception and have a different insight into black and white photography.