Tarantino Reflection Pulp Fiction

Frankly, I forgot how much I loved this movie. I mean, I didn’t forget, I remembered how great it was, but there is something special about watching it again with 2 people that had never seen Pulp Fiction before. I get to view all of the twists, turns, and shocking realizations from a 3rd person perspective, while I get to truly enjoy the movie, noticing details I didn’t before, when I was slightly confused about the plot of the movie. The dialogue is so quotable, the characters are so believable, and of course, who can ignore the storytelling Tarantino gives us by not having the movie progress chronologically. Lots of movies may start in the middle of the plot, but there is something so cool about how Pulp Fiction handles this. On my first time around, I remember Vincent dying, then seeing him in the next scene and thinking “huh?” I then remembered the movie did not take place in a linear fashion, and actually knowing that Vincent was going to die made the movie even better, I think.

Jules, throughout his morning conversation with Vincent, is talking about how he wants to retire, and how they are lucky to even be alive. Vincent ignores this, and winds up dead, shot by Butch in a completely different scene. Would Jules have died had he gone along with Vincent? Maybe. We can’t really know for sure, and that’s part of what makes this movie so great. All of the characters have their own arcs and stories that overlap with each others, and their stories are finished in a way that leaves us satisfied, or at least, it left me satisfied. I don’t care about what happens next to Butch, or Jules even. I think it would be interesting to know, sure, but leaving it to the imagination of the viewer is the better option, I think. Butch makes up with Wallace and leaves, Wallace gets his shining briefcase back (was it his a bible, or his soul, why did he have a bandaid? We don’t know and are never told), Vincent meets his end, and he and Jules seemingly go off into the sunset, except instead of the sunset it is walking out of the store, with a guns in their crotches.

Even the characters with less screen time (I don’t want to call them minor, as all of the characters are so memorable) are amazing. Wolfe, Mia Wallace, Fabienne (Butch’s lover), the drug dealer, and Jimmy are all characters that we can understand, and are extremely fun to watch.

Really, this is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I think that after watching it a second time, it may have cemented itself as my favorite.