- I believe that dedicating enough hours to your graphic design work, that you do not have enough time with people you love, to get enough sleep, or worry about your health, or to do other things you care about. I’d say that would be around 70 hours a week (based off how much my dad worked as a kid and how much his life sucked). I’d say to get sophisticated work accomplished you would have to commit around 20 hours at least, depending on the level of work you are doing. In this way I feel I’m closer to the minimum hours you would need to complete sophisticated work, at about 25-30 hours, with some weeks getting very close to the 20 hour mark.
- I believe having more branches coming off of each question of my decision map would be good. More ways to tie negative answers back to still being a vegetarian. As far as my information maps go, I would like to incorporate the symbols in a different way than I did. For the personal geography map I would make my map more detailed.
- I was told that my symbols were very good on my decision map and lacking on my other maps, so I made time to create what I thought were much better symbols on both my personal geography and info graphics maps.
- I loved doing most of the map project. The decision map was definitely what I poured my heart into. I enjoyed making the symbols which set a precedent for the rest of my maps. I also challenged myself to make it available to be riso-printed as I enjoy the way riso-printed designs look. I struggled the most with the infographic map however I enjoyed making the symbols for it.
- I have been attempting to come up with ideas and designs for t shirts for my job (chuy’s) If I were to come up with something they liked, I would get paid for it, get as many shirts as I want and get my design sold and displayed at all chuy’s around the country.
- I think in some ways, work has a negative impact on my school life, but it is how I put myself through school. Without work I couldn’t afford to be in school. I also have had some mental health issues that have gotten in my way this semester, but I am working through those things the best I can and hope they resolve eventually.
- I honestly loved our classroom environment this semester. It put a lot of responsibility on us as students, which I appreciated a lot. I believe I contributed well to the climate of the class. I speak up alot, not only when I agree with something, but also when I disagree or don’t understand. I feel it’s my responsibility to myself to know how and why things are happening in class. I also think that we had some great conversations I contributed to. I honestly think being in the lab while working on my decision map I felt I was flourishing the most. I am so proud of that map and it kind of took me over as I worked on it. I was so happy at how successful it was.
Practice time: In my case I believe my practice time is in both the assignments I do in class, as well as projects I work on in my free time. I find that with class time and work, I find little time to commit to the projects I make for myself but find enough time to get my class assignments done. My practice time is definitely a bit uneven, due to the unpredictable nature of my job. However I use the time i specifically set aside to complete class work to do just that. In that way my class work gets done, and that practice time could be considered even, but my personal projects only get attention when I find time between class and work. Work takes up more of my time than I’d like, but I have to pay rent so….
Sophistication: I believe as far as sophistication is concerned, I achieve a happy medium level. I believe my awareness is there far more than it used to be just by nature of practice, but that i definitely have a long way to go before I’m satisfied completely. My design work lacks depth, which at least I’m aware of, but can’t really find where to pull that depth from. I want my work to get farther off of the page than it currently is.
Feedback: I really appreciate feedback, especially that of my peers, as I feel that we all share a sort of ‘inexpertise’ that when put together forms a sort of expertise. This is where I feel I also do most of my learning so this feedback is very important to me.
Level of Challenge: I believe the classes I am currently taking are a pretty challenging for me. They push the boundaries of my knowledge of design and expand my knowledge. In my own work I attempt to challenge myself, but at times do fall into my usual patterns of what I find comfortable. I do however do projects in my own time that expand on what I have learned in class, as a way to get more comfortable with techniques we used in class.
Expert Experiences: I have done graphic design work for campus ministries. I have also recently been asked to draw/design tattoos for friends and family. I guess those fall under “other stuff”, but if I had more time I would like to do more things that would be considered expert experience.
Social Emotional Development: This is where my pattern of mediocrity takes a turn for the worst. I am super not okay. Like at all. I’m a ball of anxiety and depression expected to support myself while also going to school??? At times I feel like I’m certifiable. And I’m expected to not only go to class everyday, but go to work to be able to pay for it. It takes a toll on my already socially underdeveloped self. I have friends and have formed a ‘support group’ with my classmates, but that’s about it for me socially. So I guess my development falls under that of “young” or “out of control”.
Climate: I believe despite my emotional issues, I manage to make the best of class and add to the climate in a positive way, especially among my group of friends in the class. I really enjoy the class and enjoy being a part of it. It makes me feel a little less alone, so I like to make the best of it and participate.
My greatest strengths in _________drawing_______ include:
For greater success in this course, I need to:Be more attentive
My computer skills include:
photoshop and indesign
I still need to learn:All other adobe products
Research & writing skills:
My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include: I am good at writing long essays
I need to work on these aspects of research and writing: better use of school databank resources
I learn best & accomplish most when:
I listen to music
ten things to do
- Address the class work every night
- reread any reading
- be more attentive
- practice my taught skills
- ask for help when I need it
- be open to suggestion
- be ready everyday
- attend class everyday
- Make note of test dates
- study for tests
I enjoyed the game designers. They were designers for an app company. They designed apps and collected data to make future decisions about how to run their games. I learned what goes into running a game after the fact of making it.
This course was interesting overall, but I would have enjoyed it more of if were more about my major, rather than grouping all the majors together. Also it would be cool to hear more about finding jobs, building a portfolio, maybe even having some resources to come back to for that info.
- I personally related to Camille he most. I really liked her style, as well as her senior project.
- I was surprised with how big of an impact Camille’s senior project had on her current professional life. It opened my eyes to how important your senior year is and how close you truly are to the career world.
- Get internships early, and watch put for the ones that reach out to you…they could be scams.
- My future is about 50% planned. I know I have the basics down and I know where I want to be, but I’m still in the process of finding the specifics of how to get there.
- If I could study abroad, I would travel to Spain. I love the climate, the food, the culture, but most of all the language
- I am actually not in a study group, however I would like to be. I would love to see maybe a club for illustrators. As an illustrator I feel stuck between a world of art and graphic design, and would love to find others to relate to.