Blog Post #8

Faculty Presentations

Jimmy

Jimmy Loue was the first presentation. He talked about the Riso graph printer in and making art in the Riso labs. He highlighted the differences that the Riso graph can make and the extra colors that can be applied using it. Jimmy talked about the concept of public and how it fits into the world of publication.

I enjoyed Jimmy’s presentation. I felt that he was very invested in his work as an artist and as a professor at St. Edwards University.

Bill

Bill Kennedy was the next speaker. He showcased several intensely beautiful abstract pieces. His process includes taking otherwise ordinary images and editing them digitally. The work was a vivid mix of color and shape. It was almost impossible to tell what the original image was to begin with.

I like this work, it has a cellular quality to it that can really draw you in. The images are almost scientific in nature and mimic some molecular structures. As interesting as this work is, I am much more entertained by his other bodies of work especially his images from the Texas Prison Rodeo.

Tuan

The next speaker was Tuan Phan. His graphic design work ranged from personal quasi-political Instagram projects to elaborate flyers and graphic artwork created for St. Edwards programs. He collaborates with students on many of his flyers for the university. Mr. Phan is a master of the sketch and uses a sketch book to house his ideas and potential design elements for upcoming work.

I appreciate Tuan’s work for its imaginative quality and its unique style. He uses many recognizable shapes and objects layered together to create his work, giving it a dynamic 3D look. He is a huge asset to the university when it comes to his design techniques as well as his skills as a professor.

Alex

Alex Garza was the last to present. She gave definitions to highlight her working characteristics. She listed curiosity, passion and wonder as the driving elements that compel her to create her works. She mentioned her work studying sudden infant death as well as projects revolving around childhood obesity. She also mentioned a painstaking project that her and her husband took eight years to complete. The project was to resurrect an old musical with the original audio and video, then they made their own version using different music and slightly different editing. She left us with two bits of advice, it’s all about time management and go out and shoot.

Other than hearing her speak I don’t know much about Mrs. Garza or her work. She seemed very passionate and equally interested in making art, teaching and parenting. She gave a good speech and rounded out the faculty speakers by injecting a little bit of inspiration into her presentation.

5-year plan

Over the course of the next five years, I want to increase my value as a photographer and as a working professional. In the next two years, I hope to complete my degree at St. Edwards and gather more working experience in the photography industry. I would like to travel more and photograph new places and people. Improving my photography skills is important to me, so I plan on getting a job assisting an established photographer to learn what I can about editing, shooting, and archiving images. These things should help me become a more seasoned photographer and the proper credentials to generate income and support my life with photographer.