When selecting these images for the sequence test book, I looked for similarities in the subject matter. The subject matter is people crossing the street or using the same mode of transportation. The front cover is a shot of congress with a view of The Capitol. The first few pages show many pedestrians in route to their destinations. Then, the center page shows the last pedestrian. The next two pages are bicycles. Next, there are a few pages of motorcycles followed by some of Austin’s public transportation. The back-cover sheet of the book is a picture of cars blurring as they pass in front of the camera. I still have images that I want to work in to the book but I’m not sure if I will end up using them in the final copy.
Printing the test book on the inkjet printer was very interesting. The settings are specific and it’s easy to miss a dial or switch. I remember when I got the set of odds off the printer tray, at first glance I thought I had messed something up. Then I realized that was the printing order it needed to be in order to be made into a book. I flipped the prints around and printed the evens.
It was exciting getting the finished paper back when it printed correctly. The paint from the inkjet smells kind of weird. When the ink had dried I quickly grabbed my bone folder and began to meticulously fold each page at the appropriate point. When I was finished setting the creases of my pages I used the saddle-stitcher to bind my book. This was the point when I began to feel like I can actually make this book happen.
I took my book with extra trim and creep hanging off over to Trustee Hall. I needed to use the guillotine or creep-cutter to cut the extra trim and creep off the pages of my book. The lab is pretty full of people so I made a bee-line for the cutting corner. I threw my book in the creep cutter and got it trimmed up correctly. I am excited to soon possess the new skill of bookmaking.
Thumbnails of Test Book: