I was able to venture down to Congress on Friday and scavenge a few items for the collage project. It was difficult to find items that I felt would enhance my collage. It had just rained the previous night, so most of the items I came across were soaked and needed to be dried off. I found a few interesting treasures, but most of what I found would be considered litter along the sidewalks and in gutters of South Congress. I found a few small toys, some loose change, a few fallen leaves, and a key which probably unlocks the real treasure. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to canvas the area and look for locks, because I had a class starting at 11:00am. When I was finished with class I raced to the digital lab to make some scans of my South Congress artifacts.
The lab monitor said she didn’t know much about scanning so it was up to me to remember what Bill had said in the scanning demo the previous Wednesday. I placed a clear transparency between my soiled items and the crisp surface of the fancy Epsom scanner. I lined up my image in scan-preview, adjusted my marque, and then made my first of 10 scans. It was relatively self explanatory and I was finished within the hour. I made a few prints to use on my collage and shortly after, I exited the lab. Now that I had fresh scans of my items I was ready to put the pieces of my project together.
I purchased some black foam core presentation board to compose the two collage’s. I began by carefully cutting out all the images I planned to use on the project. Once I had finished cutting everything out, I focussed on tearing construction paper to add layers to the scene. After I had my background, middle-ground and foreground, I began placing my images in different areas to get a feel for the scene I wanted. When I had them in just the right places I began to glue them down one by one. I used 2 glue sticks and half a bottle of super glue to attach the pieces of the collage.
I wanted to give the collage a different setting. I used a rural highway as the backdrop for both collages. It seemed like a more open setting that would give my images room to to exist in the focal points without competing for attention with a busy city backdrop. I’m looking forward to the next collage process.