Blog #4

“Medium is the Message” was a trip. It was hard to let everything soak in, but I think the theories (are they ideas? theories?) discussed in this article hold a lot of truth to them. I was haphazardly talking about similar things with some friends the other day about how vast and connected the world is through media – there’s so much information that is being sent out, received, and archived in the Web that you could consider it entirely a world of its own. This article has a very insightful analysis of using media as a means of communication and it’s up/downsides.

Do you know how many times I check social media day? I hope not, because it’s probably a ridiculously high number. We’re so connected through phones, computers, and television now that we’re not the same people; we’re pumping out information that no one would have otherwise known, and indirectly creating a dialogue with a worldwide network every day (pretty sure that’s what the article was getting at – how the medium of communication changes humankind). I think that’s both awesome and scary, but nonetheless necessary for societal advancement. I like the idea of a worldwide dialogue – and while media might destroy our original ideas of community, childhood, etc., we’re creating whole new definitions of those concepts. I’d go even further to say that through Internet/media/new technology, we’re starting to create a whole new world within our own.