Visual Studies Seminar blog #11

I was at first fascinated by Bill’s work, as I didn’t quite know what to make of its’ abstract nature. As he talked more about the process he used to make each piece, I really began to appreciate the uniqueness of his work.

I found Hollis’ work interesting as well, due to the sheer size and detail of some of her work. I can only really describe it as awe inspiring.

Alex’s minimalist work and inspirations help me understand some of the things she’s taught and talked about in my Visual Studies class. I enjoyed seeing her art fluctuate between minimalist work, and colorful, more detailed work.

The most interesting thing to me about Tammie’s work is her style. Her work is incredibly unique and I doubt I’ve ever seem anything quite like it. I enjoyed hearing about the inspiration for her artwork because it is both an easy train of thought to follow when she describes it, but a difficult concept to grasp without Tammie’s intentions behind it.

I’ve always found the subjects of Joe’s photos interesting because I’m interested in knowing what compels him to choose the subjects that he chooses. The ranching photographs that he showed during the presentation were especially captivating to me.

I don’t quite have any ideas for a specific five year plan, since it’s hard for me to decide what I want to do, and I dislike the idea of “locking” myself into a long term plan. For that reason, my plans for the future are simple; graduate and work somewhere where I can put art or graphic design to use, preferably as a storyboard artist, concept artist, or graphic designer. My main plan for getting there is simply practice. I’ve been drawing for many years in order to improve myself for my goals, and I will continue to do that until I reach my goals and beyond that too. Though, if I had to choose anything to do beyond college, I’ve always wanted to write and illustrate a children’s book, but never really keep the idea in my mind because I can never find anything I’d want to make a book about.