The battle for presidency of the United States between secretary of state, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and business billionaire, Donald Trump, began 595 days ago and is set to end on election day- today.

While there are no voting stations on the St. Edward’s University campus today, many have flocked to the polls to cast their votes early within the past few days with worry, fear and hope in their hearts.

A few days ago on Nov. 1, early voting was offered on campus.  and Long lines pierced through the Robert Ragsdale Center as students, faculty and neighbors of the university anxiously waited to cast their votes in what has been dubbed the most unusual election season. During this session, 631 people voted, according to the Travis County county clerk. Those in line were quiet and almost seemed to be deeply in thought as, one by one, they made their way to the voting booths. As each voter person completed their vote, they walked away with an obvious sense of relief. Being a university, many of those in line were first– time voters.

daphne

“I’m 18, so it’s my first time voting”, freshman Daphne Kokkinis said.

As a new voter she wishes her options were different.

“It is a rough election to start out with because you want to be able to focus on your beliefs are, whereas in this election is about choosing lesser evils,” Kokkinis said

Many of the voters echoed the same sentiments that has have been seen throughout the campaign period. They said they and believe their vote is not necessarily for one candidate but more against the other.

Hunter Hayes is a sophomore and he had a hard time motivating himself to vote because none of the candidates sufficiently represent him.

He says “It has become less of who I think is right and more of who do I think is going to be the best out of the two bad candidates,” he said.

When it comes down to the issues on the campaign platforms, many cited immigration, foreign relations, and terrorism to be the most important but some voters believe it to be secondary to many of the rhetoric that they say has been divisive.

542721_557802997570588_1545967116_n

“I feel like I need a president that’s going to help with tolerance.” said senior, Michael Webber. “It gos on both sides. I believe more conversation needs to be heard and I  needed my vote to facilitate that.” he said.

Today, the Ragsdale Center looks a lot different. Students lounge around the couches hopefully anticipating the end of the election season.  St. Edward’s university has a large population of international students who cannot vote.

Monse Torres is a student from Mexico and she says helplessly watching the election process has been frustrating.

“It’s kind of frustrating because people don’t do it. People who are our age and who have citizenship won’t go out because they are ignorant,” she said.  “I at least know parts of the ideas and I want to vote but I can’t.”

With only a few hours left until polls close and the winner is announced many students while worried, seem confident that their candidate will be the winner.

“I have hope that deep down this country knows what the right choice is. I have hope in my country,” Webber said.