Journalism at St. Edward’s

Welcome to  journalism at St. Edward’s University. I am an assistant professor of journalism, adviser to the student newspaper, Hilltop Views, and coordinator of the journalism minor.

My teaching philosophy is simple: Regardless of how tools and technology change, thoughtful and ethical journalism will always win out.  Much has been said and written about the digital revolution in newsrooms. I’m excited about these changes. We teach students to write for print and online publications and to produce multimedia stories. We are committed to creating and supporting quality training for journalists across media, at all levels. This is what we strive for here at St. Edward’s. Our students have won internships at the Austin American-Statesman, the Dallas Morning News and the Texas Tribune, among other publications. Editors at Hilltop Views have gone on to study at the City University of New York’s multimedia graduate journalism program and the Lyndon B. Johnston School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas. We encourage our journalism students to take a global perspective and to marry their study of journalistic thinking, ethics and skills with their major courses of study.

Before joining the St. Edward’s faculty in 2008, I spent 17 years as a reporter and editor at the Anniston Star, the Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.), the News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.), the Austin American-Statesman (as White House correspondent and, later, as an assistant metro editor supervising education and social services beat reporters), and the San Antonio Express-News (night City Editor; education editor). I covered everything from local news to the White House and had a grand time all the way. Early on, however, I knew that I wanted to teach college students one day. I received a master’s degree in Journalism from Columbia University in 1989 and a bachelor’s degree from Smith College in 1984, where I majored in English.

I’m always happy to answer questions about our program. Please feel free to contact me by email at jenaheath@stedwards.edu or by phone, 512-637-1989.

Come join us.