End Term Assessment

You want a reflection about my change during the collection of expert hours. I feel as though I gained something I didn’t quite expect. I see that there is a value to denying yourself simple easy distractions for the sake of work, and that nothing can be done perfectly on the first try. Part of the struggle of trying to become an expert is the want to become an expert. Quality work doesn’t come from a haphazard attempt minutes before class; it comes from days, weeks, and even months of planning, practicing, failing, and finally success. Even if I cannot easily understand or appreciate the medium the most important thing I can do is try it, especially if it might feel uncomfortable. From mid semester I feel like this became most apparent. This has been made clearer but I feel that only now I can really appreciate practice.

My practice was inconsistent and stressful. I feel that I could have sacrificed more of my free time to practicing but when I did have it I would analyze my work and see if there were things that ought to have been changed.

Feedback is incredibly important as VISU major. Without criticism it can be tough for someone to grow as an artist. I always did my best to appreciate what others said even if I didn’t want to hear it. Criticism can be constructive even if it might hurt in the moment. Like exercising, it’s tough to make much progress without getting sore.

Love is a challenge of dedication. I want to maintain this relationship because I feel that it could help me in the future when I least expect it. Having a specialized tool in your toolbox can help one quite a lot later on. I want to be able to effectively use photography, Gestalt, and other such tools to help me with my work throughout my career. Even if this feels foreign I feel the worst choice would be to permanently burn this bridge.

I feel as though most of my work came from classwork. I know that some of the most important work one could do is in the practice they do when they do not need to. In my own work I love to draw and practice with simple sketches but when it comes to photography I feel as though I faltered.

• 10 pts blog reflection
  • 6   pts practice time
  • 10 pts Feedback/Criticism
  • 8   pts love in the work
  • 6   pts expert experiences

40 – B