Reading 2, Mad Scientist!?

I never gave thought that utility, design, and narrative were combined to make a piece of art work.  For certain, there must be an audience, but who is that in today’s modern culture?  And must the art piece speak only to one audience?

After reading the assigned pages, I feel differently.  Yes, my own decisions when producing an art piece involve substance and narrative.  When I know something is working is when I see a piece come together, not necessarily at the end, but perhaps in the beginning and the middle stages of creating.  At times, I am not trying to be narrative about a particular subject, I have been referred to the Post Modernist theme, and I like the idea very much.  I like to make something that can be wholly interpretive by the audience.  Is it political?  Functional?  Beauty?  I do not wish to make that decision for others at this time.  Maybe with more practice, I will want to influence through my art, but for now, I like to make what I like.

Currently, I am working on a tricycle drawing in Drawing II; my art piece now does not reflect anything from the original tricycle drawings.  I reworked it by marking over much of it in our soft Vine charcoal, erased most of that, then stared at the paper for inspiration wondering what was I going to do.  Then I began to see something.  Usually, when I am drawing, I will begin to see something out of seemingly nothing.  That is when I get my idea of subject.  Like Michelangelo thought a marble block had the image in it already, he only had to release it.  That is how I feel sometimes when I draw.

I am unable to look at other people’s artwork in class when working on the same project.  I compare myself and only see the progression in others’ projects and not what I am able to do.  I appreciate all art and design, but before this particular class, Foundations of Art & Design, I did not put the two together.  Now, for me, it is obvious how the two go together.

Speak Your Mind

*

Skip to toolbar