Frank Gehry’s Modern Architecture Designs

Being a jewelry fanatic, I found out about Frank Gehry when I had my first sterling silver ‘Fish’ bracelet he designed for Tiffany and Co.  I loved the bracelet so much, I asked for the matching pendant in sterling as well.  I researched his other jewelry designs, then started learning more about his famous architecture from around the world.

spain-fish-sculpturefish-pendant

Frank Gehry is a Canadian born American; he studied architecture in Los Angeles at the USC’s School of Architecture.  At the beginning of his career he built modular furniture, and with that money, he designed his family home in LA.

He is famous for his Guggenhiem Museum in Bilbao, Spain and his Fish Sculpture in Barcelona, Spain, which I have seen in person.  His desire for function over form reminds me of the book, The Fountainhead, written by Ayn Rand, whose main character, Howard Roark will not give in to the socially approved and antiquated architecture of the time.  Instead, Roark, like Gehry, is innovated and creates original designs.  The book could have been written about Gehry, because like Roark, Gehry did drop out of Harvard.

Frank Gehry is a team player, but some may think he is a stringent designer and that his designs must prevail.  Why not?  No one since Frank Lloyd Wright has intrigued and influenced his audience with his original designs.

fg-axis-building

Axis Building

Axis Ring

Axis Ring

search

Speak Your Mind

*

Skip to toolbar