Welcome back to the Spring 2016 semester! Did too much holiday cheer wipe out your memories of those start of the semester tasks you need to do in Canvas? Is this your first semester teaching in Canvas? Here are a few things to check as you set your courses up for the semester. Remember that Turnitin Assignments will need to be set up again as the integration with Canvas has changed.
- Publish your course by clicking on the “Publish” button in the upper right menu of the Home page
- Check the Start and End Dates for your classes. By default, students cannot view classes outside of those dates, even if the course is published. Go to the Course Settings to check and change the dates. Click on the “Update Course Details” button to save the changes.
- Appending the semester and year to your course name will make it easier to identify in Messages and when combining sections. Go to Course Settings to change the name.
- Send a message to your students via the Inbox or Conversations.
- Post an Announcement.
- Note: The course must be published for students to receive messages or notifications.
- If you teach more than one section of the same course, you can combine these into one Canvas course.
- Go to the People link in the course menu and select “+People”. Enter the TA(s) email address and click on “Add”.
- Go to Course Settings for the Spring 2016 course and click on the button to “Import Content into Course”
- Under Content Type select “Copy a Canvas Course”
- Search for the course name
- Choose “All Content” unless you want to only copy over specific content or want to exclude Announcements created in your prior class. Note that Announcements from the prior semester are automatically included in an “All Content” import. These announcements will be available to students in the current course unless you delete them from Announcements. If you have announcements we recommend choosing “Select Specific Content” and not importing announcements.
- Click on “Import”
- When you add an assignment it is also automatically added to “Assignments”, “Calendar”, “Syllabus” and “Grades”
- Turnitin Assignments are now created by selecting the Submission Type “External Tool”
- We’re available to help you design your Canvas course, setup your grades, learn how to use new tools such as web conferencing or lecture capture, and to answer questions. Contact us at email@example.com.
We have several Introduction to Canvas trainings scheduled. Sign up at bit.ly/SEUITTraining .