St. Edward’s University hosted its inaugural First-Generation College Celebration Day on Friday, November 6th, 2020 to celebrate our first-generation students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The virtual event included remarks from the Provost, Dr. Andrew Prall, as well as a Trailblazer panel of speakers and “We Celebrate You” Fair.
During National First-Gen Week (from November 8th-13th, 2020), we celebrated each day by highlighting several of our amazing alumni on social media. Check out moments from our event and spotlights from our alumni in the above video.
First-Generation College Celebration Day has been celebrated at universities and higher education institutions across the nation since its launch in 2017 by the Council for Opportunity in Education and Center for First-generation Student Success.
St. Edward’s University will continue to host this annual event in future years and looks forward to another celebration in November 2021.
Join us in sharing your photos from this celebration on social media using #FirstGenSEU and #CelebrateFirstGen!
Here are a few photos from the virtual celebration.:
Here are the social media posts highlighting our amazing alumni!:
And here was our itinerary/flyer for the inaugural 2020 event.
Special thank you to everyone who planned, participated and/or partnered with us to make this event possible! We appreciate your support of first generation students.
Planning Committee Members:
- Sonia Briseno – Co-Chair and Director, College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
- Claudia Briseño Chavez- Co-Chair and Success Coach, Academic Counseling and Support Programs
- Gilbert Contreras – Advisor, 1stGen Scholars Student Organization
- Nicole Barrios – Success Coach, Academic Counseling and Support Programs
- Linda Valdez – College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
- Dr. Molly Minus- Advisor, Alpha, Alpha, Alpha (National Honors Society for First-Generation College Students)
- Faculty Members- Dr. Glenda Ballard, Dr. Debra Zahay-Blatz, and Dr. Camila Rotaru
- Student- Marc Paz
- Campus Ministry
- Recreation and Wellness
- Health and Counseling Center
- Office of Dean of Students
- Career and Professional Development
- Tutoring, Academic Support Programs
- Student Disability Services
- Academic Counseling and Support Programs
- Study Abroad
- Diversity and Inclusion
- McNair Scholars Program
- Student Activities
- Student Financial Services
- Office of Fellowships
- Alpha Alpha Alpha