Junior Studio: Catalog

For our next project we were to design a catalog that featured a designer of our choice from a list. We were to focus on using the grid and expressing our own style while accentuating/alluding/complementing our chosen designer’s style.

I initially chose the designer Paul Sahre because of his variety of compelling book covers, NYT illustrations, as well as his awesome work for the band They Might Be Giants (this year I have just started to really get into their music.) I chose to narrow in on his collaborations with TMBG, a relationship that has now spanned for about seven years. For research I went to a TMBG concert, watched a ton of music videos,  read interviews and Paul Sahre’s “Two-Dimensional Man.”

The more I learned about Paul Sahre and his work, the more I was inspired to create and explore being bolder and experimenting with media! I wanted to capture that rough, fun, poignant creativity that I felt in all of his work. Sahre’s resourceful, humble, flexible, exploratory approach to design (welcoming all of the messiness and fun of creating) really excites me and I felt re-energized as a design student and was sort of reminded why I am pursuing design throughout this whole process.

Process documentation

Pinterest Board

Professor’s Feedback on the final, printed design:

“This came out really well. Paul is a great designer and as you know because you read his memoir, he really is a designer’s designer. He is all about the process, about going to unknown places. And you achieved that with this design.

Everything about the content is great. The finishing feels like a home job. The paper might feel better at a slightly lighter weight. The print feels like an ink jet, nothing wrong with that, but it would be interesting to see on a laser, to give it that extra crispness. On the cover, maybe scoot the wheel down slightly (note: the book printed slightly off and smaller than I expected). Print the wheel graphic on a CD label, and place it on the disk at the end, with a transparent sleeve in the back.

Watch those text boxes, some are too narrow, and would be better a little wider. 8-12 words per line for continuous reading, anything like 3-7 for short blurbs of text. Never use hyphenation for FL/RR text. Absolutely love how you used the torn images. Maybe run the red bar all the way across the page, and have it bleed. Watch your line breaks, and indented paragraphs. The feedback was all critical to make it better, but this one turned out great.”

Junior Studio: Invitation

For this project we were assigned a location and had to create an invitation for an event (imaginary or real) that would take place in that space. I drew the Alamo Drafthouse-Ritz. As I was looking through their events, the one that caught my attention was the interactive, quote-along screenings of the 1986 movie Labyrinth! Not only did I think this event offered the most content and potential (with the interactive quote-along, dress-up and goodie-bags for the guests) but it has been one of my favorite movies for so long and I had a lot of knowledge as a fan for what a fan might enjoy!

I wanted the invitation to be playful and an interactive keepsake for the movie-goer. After drafting different ideas such as foldable origami models of the characters and thicker pop-up/out cards, the idea of a mask seemed to be the most feasible and most relevant/useful to the event. The masks allude to the masquerade scene in the film as well as the dress-up element of the event. I decided that the masks would be reversible so the invited wearer could chose whether to wear the mask as one character or the other.

Turned-in Drafts

Preliminary Brainstorming

Feedback

Below is feedback that I received from my instructor.

Emma, Your choice to use the format of the mask, helps push this design into a place it would not be if it were merely a rectangular sheet of paper. It is playful, and appropriate for your chosen theme/event. To improve it, a further development of the type and imagery/patterns could help take it to another level. Take a look at Marian Bantje’s work. I remember her telling me one time that she created masks using paper and glitter and feathers. Maybe you can be inspired by her work. For the final deliverable, I think you could have printed it on a better paper, brought it in with a small silk thread, its the little details that help push the design beyond expectation. With further refinement I could definitely see this at Alamo, and I would totally suggest that you talk about using this design with them in the future for one of their shows. Also, think about the context of how it will be used, if its glow in the dark, or used in a lit room, or maybe one side is day, the other side is night. Good work, T

Tyler Johnson, Mar 18 at 3:48pm

Interaction Design: Augmented Reality

For this project we explored the potential and use of Augmented Reality. We used HP Reveal (formerly Aurasma) to create our altered realties.

The image I chose was of the Main building of St. Edward’s University taken after a great fire in 1903. The “trigger image” I took was quite a contrast to the rubble of the 1903 picture. This made the reveal and interaction even more satisfying.

The final product is a collection of all of my classmate’s trigger images. The reader must use HP Reveal to uncover the ghostly images of the past.

Interaction Design: Website

For my website I decided to create a site that acts as an advertising and informational platform for the many musical groups on St. Edward’s campus! As an alternative to the more academically and course-centered St. Edward’s site, my site focuses on the performance dates and events of the groups.

For the visual elements, I wanted to incorporate the collegiate colors of St. Edward’s University (blue and gold) with the ribbons and triumphant structures/imagery of music.

Using the WIX website builder/publisher to design the site was a great experience and allowed me to easily create a site that works/execute and explore the navigation design (an essential interactive component to web design).

Professor’s Feedback & Suggestions:

“FYI, I’m not going to grade until after Wednesday; you’re welcome to make changes/edits between now and then based on my feedback. This really came together; I can tell you worked hard on revising since we talked last week. Several things to consider. The header is great, but now the very rounded corner buttons (where the ends feel like circles instead of rectangles) don’t feel like the rest of the visual language of the site. Maybe something more like the buttons in the sidebar or in the group rollovers? I wonder if there is a way to visually differentiate buttons that keep you on the site, versus those that take you off? Maybe it’s a size or color difference? Or perhaps, not everything needs to be in a button (thinking of “This month’s active groups” on the Events page that would look nice as linked text). When you’re using the yellow banner with blue text as a subheading, it almost stands out more; think about making it smaller and clearly a subset of the heading. The “Home” button at the bottom of each sidebar isn’t necessary; it would be better to leave the white space. If you want a link back to home at the bottom, possibly put St. Edward’s Music Groups as the first line in the address, as opposed to “The Carriage House”.”

Graphic Design III: Books

For my books I decided to create a pair of accordion books that mirrors the qualities of what Boggy Creek Farm and Austin because their histories are so close. The qualities I focused on are foundation/history and its values of farming, organics and animal care. The title “Our Home, Our Soul” comes from the Carol Ann Sayle interview (and the quote is featured on the last duo pages. I thought this title would reflect the importance of the homes of Boggy Creek Farm and Austin.

The map on the back possibly looks twig-like, and alludes to the broader concept of home with the imagery of birds and their nests. Before the execution of this concept of comparing Austin and BCF, I had a more complex idea that wanted to tackle the changes in East Austin, gentrification, and how BCF was almost an oasis in the ever-changing Austin. It would have been a timeline that featured Austin on one side and Boggy Creek farm on the other, open for the reader to flip and compare the changes overtime. (I covered this particular direction in-depth my first creative brief.)

After many drafts, I decided for this project and its time constraints that it would be simpler and more effective to create a book that was less about message/content/statistics and more about the form/higher metaphors/experience. I am happy with the direction that I took and how the books turned out.

Professor’s Feedback:

Final books are exceptional in content, design, and form. Content is well thought out, has a clear purpose and/or message, and is revelatory. The design is highly appropriate and portfolio/award worthy. Exceeds expectations of form by pushing the traditional form of the codex in a different direction. Excellent participation in class.

Well we missed you the last day of class but nevertheless your books turned out great! The design is really lovely, with the whimsical typographic arrangements and colorful illustrations. The book really comes alive with the accordion style fold which is both appropriate and fun! The seams are clean and your craft is strong. I do question the cloth and gold ink on the cover and wonder if a different material or even a printed design would have been more appropriate. I also wish there was some kind of locative information on the map to signify that it’s Austin.

You missed a lot of class this semester, 7 days by my count, and seemed to struggle with time management causing you to sacrifice content and concept for time. Just remember as you move through the program that with more focus and hardwork comes stronger concepts and projects that you can then represent yourself with post college. And I only bring this up because I enjoyed having you in class and wish we had more time to work together. I hope you enjoyed the class as well and have a very a happy holiday break!

L*

This feedback was really helpful and constructive for me. This particular semester I struggled with self-esteem/mental health as well as time management. This impacted my attendance and the quality of my work. I believe that I have come a long way since then. I have been caring for myself a lot better/reaching out to friends, family, professors and counseling for help. I think a lot of it was and is due to stress, uncertainty/anxiety, hyper-self criticism of myself and my work (and I still struggle with these things.) I know I’m not alone and have been a lot more mindful, caring and active in making sure that I take care of myself and my responsibilities and my career as a design student. Although I know there are many challenges coming up soon with senior year which may threaten to cause more anxiety, I am looking forward to it and feel better equipped to take care of myself. I feel that I am learning more to love and appreciate the process of growing as a designer and as a person. 4/17/18

GDES III: Website

Many of the colors I chose for the site were from photos of Boggy Creek farm because I wanted the essence of being at the farm to be on the page. I strived to make the page fresh and fun through the creation of a logo (the tomato chicken). I first created a wireframe using a 960 grid for the general layout of the site then developed it through creating graphics and a more developed color scheme for the mock-ups.

The fonts I used were inspired by the architecture of the house and painted farm signs.

Graphic Design III: Posters

My next pieces to design were two posters inspired by or for Boggy Creek Farm.

I first created a Pinterest Board to organize my inspirations (which were mostly 60s psychedelic posters because of their flowing lines and ability to incorporate various illustrations and abstract ideas/feelings).

Informational / Illustrative

Map / Collage

Graphic Design III: Zine

I wanted this zine to communicate historical and current information.

I chose to use scanned ink illustrations because I wanted the design to have organic, homemade elements that reflect the natural sweetness of the rustic urban farm.

Graphic Design III: Site Research & Interview

Before designing any physical pieces for Graphic Design 3, we first focused on designing the gathering of information and inspiration. I first visited my chosen site, Boggy Creek Farm, then interviewed Carol Ann Sayle, co-founder of the urban farm for my research process.

Visiting Boggy Creek Farm

Preparing for an Interview

Interview Questions:

• How did you all first get started with farming?
    • Inspirations, dreams, experiences growing up
  • Careers before Boggy Creek Farm: art and real estate
    • How have these past careers/experiences informed new career?
  • Boggy Creek has an extensive history being one of the oldest properties (if not the oldest) in Austin, since Austin became Austin.
    • What is the importance of knowing the history of a place?
  • Did you know about history before purchase?
    • Possible topic: Sam Houston visit
  • What was the process of restoration when you first purchased the property in 1992?
  • Have you seen a change in people’s perception of East Austin over the years, and how has East Austin changed since 1992?
  • How would you describe Boggy Creek farm?
  • How many people visit Boggy Creek, and what different events are held here?
  • What are the benefits/rewards (emotional, life, physical) of farming and gardening, or being stewards of Boggy Creek farm?
    • Benefits of farming in general, to you, to families and people
  • Any interesting stories about chickens/daily life?
  • What advice would you give to people who want to start urban farming/gardening?
  • When did Buddy join the farm? What’s his role? [:-3

Interviewing Carol Ann

Advanced Typography: Conference Booklet

For this project we were tasked with designing a booklet for the 2016 Fulbright Conference. The design process consisted of sifting through raw information, creating visuals through type choice, graphics and color, considering the physical object (its size, shape, production) and setting all of the text in an indesign document.

I created a Pinterest board for visual and conceptual brainstorming and inspiration.

« Older posts

© 2024 Emma D

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑