Drawing/Painting Time (using portraits), Martin Lam Nguyen, C.S.C

When first viewing the works of Martin Nguyen (within Drawing/Painting Time, using portraits), I observed pounding dots supplemented with detail that met the eye when you walked in closer.

In 1979 Martin Nguyen immigrated to the United States from Vietnam. During his presentation he expressed his great interests and concerns with technology, language, presence, time, and caring for/knowing one another (passions and ideas he had developed during his travels and experiences). Nguyen is also a priest of the Congregation of the Holy Cross and “joined the Department of Art, Art History and Design of the University of Notre Dame in 1995” (background information found via). St. Edward’s had the great pleasure of welcoming Martin and his pieces to our art gallery, and I am so glad that I worked up the resolution to attend his gallery opening and artist talk of Drawing and Painting TIME (using portaits).

Within this specific installed exhibit, there were two distinct pieces: one an array of faces and expressions from different people of different ages at different times portrayed in a warm palette; the other, “365 Faces of Lucy”, focused on one young girl, depicted in gray-scale drawings, every day for one whole year. The lines that depict the faces within both pieces are thin and depict the faces rather realistically.

The pieces have a very grid-like form that creates repetition and a uniform rhythm. The subtle differences in the faces on both the large piece and “365 Faces of Lucy” also develop a sense of variety as the viewer rotates their eyes from one image to the next.

They interact with the space subtly and profusely through this varied yet united rhythm of faces, and create an atmosphere of great reflection and care. The tenderness within the captured, sequential expressions relates greatly to the deep purposes of Nguyen’s processes and pieces.

While listening to Martin Nguyen speak about his works, he brought up many intriguing and sensitive ideas, and in doing so, I struggled to keep myself from jotting almost everything he said down. His ideas expressed prior to me viewing his pieces helped inform my interpretation and further perceptions of the pieces and his expressions overall.

“Time is the heart of existence…”

Time acts as a noble platform of his purposes within his works. Nguyen acknowledged the difference of perceptions of time throughout cultures, as most notably observed through the language we use in expressing it. Through the portraits he captures moments of existence in a way that we mark time: through portraits and documentation. There is such great care in that he utilizes hours and hours of his time in order to replicate a brief moment.

“I cannot know you; I’m not God.”

Language also differs when denoting what it means to look. Like Nguyen noted, in the English language  we glance and scrutinize and gaze (a spectrum of different forms of looking). With technology, this spectrum of viewing sometimes causes us to miss the specialties of people and moments in time.

Through his processes of examining and duplicating a photograph, focusing on one at a time, he is almost able to feel what it is like to have the ability to create and care for someone in continuous moments so, so much—as if he is God…but not quite.

He and the viewer will never know the complexities of the individuals depicted, but they can rest in the unknown, knowing that we are all within the same space and channels of existence. We can take comfort in this understanding that we can never absolutely understand.

“Artists…lonely with an idea”

Martin Nguyen’s work is complex, astounding, and continuously working to present life in a pure, careful, strong form. As if each image is a moment, a breath—resounding so quickly to the viewer’s eye, yet it took hours to replicate.  Like I stated before, I am so glad that I was able to see his works and speak with him. They were very emotional, thought-provoking, and effectively.

I began to sense that feeling that he discussed within his presentation…that feeling of noticing a likeness of himself in the little girl. I recognize myself in others and their slick moments in time—united and as individuals.