Portfolio Review

Artist Statement: 

As an introvert I have always been one to sit back and observe more than others. Observing has made me very interested in things such as relationships, systems the community and more…

Through my work I aim at answering questions about my own life. The things that are important to me are my heritage as a Mexican-American, and education as an art educator. I believe that process is very important and vital to my art. I am interested in identity, but most importantly my identity issues as a Mexican-American first generation student. My art now is motivated through answering questions about identity and perhaps breaking stereotypes pushed on the Mexican-American community. I believe that I wouldn’t have reached these points of interest if I had not done so much process based work through my paintings and drawings.

Discussion List: 

What motivates you to make art? You could say that for majority of my life I was creating art for simply aesthetic reasons. I was told I was good at art so I was creating art that I believed others would like. Through college I have been motivated to make art to learn, to learn from the process and the mistakes. I have also been motivated to make art to become better through practice. Now, more recently starting my Senior year through Senior Salon I am learning what my burning questions are about life and how my art answers those questions. The things that are important to me are my heritage, and education as an art educator. I am interested in identity, but most importantly my identity issues as a Mexican-American first generation student. My art now is motivated through answering questions about identity and perhaps breaking these stereotypes pushed on the Mexican-American community.

How do you use color, space, form and other dynamics in your work? I am very interested in the use of lines. Many of my work shows variations of line work, whether it be very expressive and bold in my paintings or very controlled as seen in my printmaking work.  I like to play with composition and space. Especially with my more expressive pieces of work.

How do you view your craftsmanship? I would say my craftsmanship is appropriate and relevant to the work I am completing. As an artist I am very messy and very playful in my work. However, when needed my work is clean. Certain things are expressive and require a different kind of craftsmanship in relationship to those that are not.

What do you consider to be your strengths? Although I do not consider myself a planner, I have realized that I am. I plan what I want to do which then gives me freedom when it comes to my execution. Although I am a planner, I’m very expressive and in the moment. I consider my sense of curiosity and not becoming attached to artwork strengths as well. I am willing to learn and try new things without fear of the unknown product. I like the process, I like failing and am willing to do so in order to create new things.

Are there skills you feel need further development? I need more experience in clay and any 3D work. I also feel that I lack skills in drawing.

How does your work relate to art historical precedents and contemporary trends? The first half of my work is very fundamental and is work that was done in the classroom without any real context behind it. The second half of my work is work that I like and enjoyed creating. These pieces were also done in the classroom but I had more freedom to take the assignments into my own hands. These pieces are more experimental and expressive. During this time I was very interested in process and experimentation which was very much inspired by the dada movement.

What are your expectations/goals for yourself over the next five years? In the next five years I expect to hold a job as an art teacher in AISD. I would like to continue my own practice as an artist. I would like my practice to include work involving the community, kids and education.

img_2437 img_2430 img_2450 img_2440 img_2444 img_2441 img_2429 img_2448  img_2435 img_2421 fullsizerender