Faculty Frenzy!

Faculty Frenzy!

This time around, we had some interesting people come talk to us a bit about what they do as artists and what their art means to them.

Prof. Kennedy deconstructs images in Photoshop to create really interesting and unique prints. His art was really abstract, and a little surrealist, but it managed to captivate me. I really found the fact that he can’t recreate his art, and that he’s entirely driven on an internal level, very interesting.

Prof. Hollis was a whirlwind of inspiration. Her art was mind-boggling! I can’t begin to comprehend how difficult it must have been to set up some of her installations!!!! I found her source of inspiration to be powerful, and her ideas to be unique. She gives a new perspective on life as a whole, which I really admire.

Prof. Robinson deals with minimalistic art and said that she “translates experiences and feelings” into minimalist art pieces. She prides herself at “finding beauty in the nothing”. I think I really appreciated the way she took pride in her work and explained how her work has changed as she raised her own children.

Prof. Ruben was also interesting, and I really appreciated the perspective of someone who dealt with what most people consider to be the traditional form of sculpting. She deals with the “known and the unknown”. Her artwork is tactile, filled with color, yet changed completely after graduate school. She really interacts with the audience, and I think that level of involvement is incredibly interesting.

Prof. Vitone was equally interesting, capturing photographs of ranchers and ranch life in Valentine, Texas. He covers the stories of individuals, the haves and the have nots. He seems interesting in black and white photography, mainly film, and has an interest in livestock.

——————-

I think the presenters were all incredibly interesting, and they all got me thinking about my own plans. I think that in terms of a five year plan, I really just need to finish me degree and get myself out there. If we’re starting five years after graduation, I’m honestly considering getting my masters in Psychology, but aside from that I’d like to try and get a small job at a local business doing graphic design or UX/UI work. Being fresh out of college, I can build up some experience in the field and a portfolio, so by the time I’m out of grad school, I could try for a job at a bigger place like IBM or Google, if I can’t already land a job there. I need to focus on building my skills and experience, that way I can really try and get into the field I desire and build a nice reputation for myself.