smarti12's blog

Just another St. Edwards University Sites site

Blog Post 5: Ginsberg’s “Howl”

March31

One of the key themes found in Ginsberg’s poem Howl was a theme of dark spirituality. In his part II of the poem, he exclaims the work “Moloch” quit a bit. Moloch by definition refers to a deity whose worship is displayed by an appalling sacrifice. One of the student annotations states that Ginsberg is referring to capitalism, consumerism, and culture. I could definitely see him using the word Moloch in this way. After really analyzing, I feel that Ginsberg is saying that society has sacrificed their well being for things such as capitalism, consumerism, and culture.  In Ginsberg’s line,”Moloch! Moloch! Robot apartments! invisible suburbs! skeleton treasuries! blind capitals! demonic industries! spectral nations! invincible madhouses! granite cocks! monstrous bombs!” we, the reader, is exposed to what Ginsberg thinks are the “Moloch’s” of our society. Another point Ginsberg address this dark spirituality is in his line, “They broke their backs lifting Moloch to Heaven!” Here I feel he’s saying that individuals are conforming to certain standards to appear holy or spiritual when in reality, they’re doing more harm than good in their attempts.

Though many individuals reading the poem may not know this definition or reference of Moloch, I think Ginsberg’s diction and writing style gets his point across just as good. Certain word phrases such as “Moloch whose blood is running money!” promotes negativity toward money, or to an extent, consumerism. I say this because money is so symbolic to industry and wealth, that by stating blood, that is so vital to life, he is inferring that society can’t live without money, or even the idea of it.

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Blog Post 5: Ginsberg’s “Howl””

1. April 9th, 2016 at 7:15 am      Reply elewis Says:

That’s a good point you brought up on Moloch it really helps when try to understand the Ginsberg’s commentary on spirituality in howl.

2. April 21st, 2016 at 11:55 am      Reply Julie Sievers Says:

Stephanie – yes, I think you’re drawing accurate parallels between the metaphor of human sacrifice and the kinds of sacrifices Ginsberg sees happening in a capitalist, consumerist society. Good points.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: