smarti12's blog

Just another St. Edwards University Sites site

Blog Post 2: Harriet Beecher Stowe

February6

Whilst writing Uncle Tom’s CabinStowe brings up many controversial topics of slavery, but she also shows this theme of opposing views amongst genders. One Section that I find this present is the moment that Mrs. Shelby confronts her husband on the allegations of him selling Uncle Tom and Eliza’s son Harry.

” ‘Well, since you must know all, it is so. I have agreed to sell Tom and Harry both; and I don’t know why I am to be rated, as if I were a monster, for doing what every one does every day.’

‘But why, of all others, choose these?’ said Mrs. Shelby. ‘Why sell them, of all on the place, if you must sell at all?’

‘Because they will bring the highest sum of any,—that’s why. I could choose another, if you say so. The fellow made me a high bid on Eliza, if that would suit you any better,’ said Mr. Shelby.

‘The wretch!’ said Mrs. Shelby, vehemently.

‘Well, I didn’t listen to it, a moment,—out of regard to your feelings, I wouldn’t;—so give me some credit.’

‘My dear,’ said Mrs. Shelby, recollecting herself, ‘forgive me. I have been hasty. I was surprised, and entirely unprepared for this;—but surely you will allow me to intercede for these poor creatures. Tom is a noble-hearted, faithful fellow, if he is black. I do believe, Mr. Shelby, that if he were put to it, he would lay down his life for you.’ “

I think this section and the rest of chapter five show a lot of this back and forth between the Shelby’s. Mr Shelby mostly just brushes off the selling of Tom, his most loyal worker and Harry, whom has been with them since birth. I think Stowe includes this back and forth between the Shelby’s as an insight on the opposing views that were happening in America at the time. Mrs. Shelby representing those that believed that African American’s were still individuals capable of human compassion and interaction, and Mr. Shelby representing the average slave holder that is willing to split up mother and child for the sake of settling a debt.

Another point in the novel that we see Stowe supporting efforts to end slavery is in chapter 10 is when Haley  comes to collect Uncle Tom and takes him away. At that point, George comes home and realizes this injustice, says his goodbyes and to gives mr. Haley his own view on what he thinks about slave trading.

” Haley now came to the door, with the handcuffs in his hands.

‘Look here, now, Mister,’ said George, with an air of great superiority, as he got out, ‘I shall let father and mother know how you treat Uncle Tom!’

‘You’re welcome,’ said the trader.

‘I should think you’d be ashamed to spend all your life buying men and women, and chaining them, like cattle! I should think you’d feel mean!’ said George.

‘So long as your grand folks wants to buy men and women, I’m as good as they is,’ said Haley;  ‘tan’t any meaner selling’ on ’em, that ‘t is buy-in’!’

‘I’ll never do either, when I’m a man,’ said George; ‘I’m ashamed, this day, that I’m a Kentuckian. I always was proud of it before;’ and George sat very straight on his horse, and looked round with an air, as if he expected the state would be impressed with his opinion.”

Stowe I think very much uses this opportunity to speak her own views through the character of George. She points out that slave trading and slave owning are equally shameful. And I also think that she realizes that putting such an issue in the form of a child character allows the reader see things from the perspective of an innocent bystander.

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Blog Post 2: Harriet Beecher Stowe”

1. February 9th, 2016 at 7:21 pm      Reply kotieno Says:

I find your comment about Stowe speaking through George to be very interesting. In my opinion, George is probably the strongest character in the novel thus far that definitely makes his opinions known! Being that he symbolizes the very type of individual most slave owners fear, I wonder how effective that would be rhetorically.

2. February 15th, 2016 at 10:18 pm      Reply Julie Sievers Says:

Nice point about children serving as neutral and innocent bystanders!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: