I.

In his autobiography, Benjamin Franklin reveals dozens of qualities that he feels that an average American should exhibit. One quality in particular is productivity – his idea that there is no time nor need for leisure, idleness, or laziness. When discussing the foundation of the library that he created, Franklin claimed “this library afforded me the means of improvement by constant study, for which I set apart an hour or two each day…reading was the only amusement I allow’d myself” (Franklin, Autobiography, chapter 8). This quote reveals a tremendous amount about Franklin’s character and also, about his ideas towards being productive. He admits to spending no time engaging in typical leisure activities – drinking and gambling – and instead, explains that in his downtime, he educates himself through reading. Franklin’s autobiography also discussed his plan to obtain moral perfection, in which he created a list of various moral virtues that he planned to follow. His sixth virtue, Industry, read “lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions” (Franklin, Autobiography, chapter 9). This important moral virtue (one that he has an easy time keeping up with, according to his weekly virtue upkeep record) provides a striking example of Franklin’s views toward productivity.

Although there is no outright persuasion of his audience to adopt his views of productivity, it is evidently and subtly woven throughout the chapters eight and nine. Franklin, throughout the chapters, talks about some of his major achievements – about starting a library, attempting to obtain moral perfection, and creating his own prayers after leaving the church – and seemingly always relates them to productivity. At the conclusion of chapter nine, Franklin claims “…I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan, and, cutting off all amusements or other employments that would divert his attention, makes the execution of that same plan his sole study and business” (Franklin, autobiography, chapter 9). With this declaration, Franklin is explaining essentially that if a man formulates a plan and eliminates leisure, he will make considerable changes. Throughout chapters eight and nine, Franklin describes productivity as a means of obtaining happiness and achievement, which is easily a persuasive mechanism.

4 thoughts on “I.”

1. Very well written! I enjoyed the use of your quotations and explanations of the meanings behind them. I think you hit the nail on the head right from the start by writing out Franklin’s overall message. Franklin referred to productivity many times throughout his life for many different reasons which is exactly what you have shown here. Good job.

2. I enjoyed reading this! It was well put together throughout the post. I also enjoyed the use of the quotations and why you used them! I feel that you have a full understanding of the broader implications that Franklin was trying to portray!
    Good job!

3. I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I thought you crafted a well thought out argument through your supporting points which covered his own narrative, and ideas. I thought it was a great idea to mention him being a productive person through his journey in creating a public library and his strive for moral perfection, in which he lists productiveness as a virtue. Awesome job!

4. Well done, Beth! I agree with you that citing his own (many) accomplishments is one of his strategies for showing how his emphasis on productivity has paid off. One might argue that Franklin is not an ordinary guy: few people could accomplish as much as he did in his life, so perhaps we shouldn’t expect to achieve the same results. But still, I think you’re right about this: his life itself provides some of his chief evidence to support his points about virtues.