April 29, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I had planned to go back to houston to be with my family so my plans weren’t affected.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

At first I didn’t think much of it but after about a week I started to get really stressed out and panicked because I realized that I would now have to move out of my on campus apartment and either be homeless or move back in with my parents whom I haven’t lived with since I was 18.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

I’ve been living in my parents home in Houston.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

It’s been a pretty negative experience honestly. I’ve always had trouble sticking to a schedule and keeping myself accountable and moving online has made it extremely more difficult.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

Having to stay inside all the time has made living with my family that much harder. Even while I was living alone, I would leave my apartment to go to the library or a coffee shop to get work done but having to stay inside in a place that hasn’t been my home in 4 years without a room to escape to or even a bed to sleep in as made everything extremely difficult.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

No.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

No.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I’m staying inside as much as my sanity will allow it. I go outside and take my dog for walks since that’s all I can do to just leave the house. I’m either watching TV or taking online dance classes or doing at-home workouts.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I’ve only walked around my parents neighborhood.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

My parents are trying their best to be supportive so that’s helping a little bit, but sometimes it feels suffocating. And just holding onto the fact that even though it may take a while, this will pass.