April 24, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I didn’t have a huge spring break vacation planned, but I definitely wanted to get out and do things around Austin. However, because of the virus I ended up staying home for my safety.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was somewhat relieved because I am a commuter with very early classes, but I was sad to lose that classroom experience.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

No, I still live in my apartment in Cedar Park. However, we do have to move into a new house during this crisis for reasons unrelated to school or St. Edward’s.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

Online classes have been great because I get to work whenever I have time, rather than having to wait for class. It is harder to stay on track and motivated without in person classes.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I honestly did not feel safe when going to work. My coworkers and I didn’t feel that they were doing enough to protect their workers. Initially there were no rules about face masks, gloves, shields, etc. The only change that occurred was them telling us to wipe down tables and other hard surfaces more. Their rules and safety precautions have improved slightly, but not as much as we’d like to see.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I’m actually very concerned considering i’m an “essential worker” and I feel that I work at a place that doesn’t provide adequate protection for myself and others. Other than work, I feel safe because I don’t leave my house.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

I do. My uncle recently contracted the virus after returning from a 3 month work trip to Afghanistan. Luckily he only had a mild case and has fully recovered.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I stay in my apartment as much as possible. The only time I leave is when I have to go to work or to the store for groceries. I mostly use work and school to pass the time.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I have been staying at home for the most part. I usually only leave if I have to go to the store or work.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

I had hope that the virus was slowing down but now that they are starting to reopen stores, i’ve become very concerned. I think that doing my part by social distancing and staying home as much as possible gives me hope that others are trying their best to fight this as well.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

Not, necessarily. I’m just concerned because I just bought a house and we’ve been going through the home buying process during this outbreak. We close at the end of this month and we will have to move while the virus is still prominent in this country, so it is a very scary time.