April 16, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I did not have any plans for spring break.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I felt like a storm was coming. like this virus that seemed so far away was an actual threat that I hadn’t paid too much attention to until school was moved online.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

I was living with my dad in Austin, now I am living with my mom and siblings in New Braunfels.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

My experience has been alright. I  am a writing major, so it’s pretty simple just writing things on my own, the only thing I have a problem with is staying on top of each class and when deadlines are. without having to go to class, it’s all up to me to remember things.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I haven’t been out of my house in a month. I love driving places, and visiting coffee shops to study and become inspired, and without these things my life seems a bit mundane, and it’s hard for me to write. I also really like to run in the city and in parks, and I  haven’t been able to do that in a long time.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I am not worried about getting the virus. I am more worried about passing it on to someone who already has health issues, or a weak immune system.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

My cousin from Mexico City got it, and he is better now.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I am staying in and apart from school work, I paint, read, clean, exercise, run, sun tan, swim.. I do things I  haven’t done in a while, and things I always complain I never have time to do during non-quarantine life…

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I went out for the first time in a month today actually. I went to the park with my family to have a picnic, and you can feel the weight of this virus because people walk very far from you, and you feel more self conscious than usual.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

What is giving me hope and strength is the thought that our mother earth is taking a little breather while we stay indoors. Bodies of water will clear up, plants and animals will thrive, and the air will become more breathable. That and, people are being kinder to one another, and the whole world is in the same boat.. we are all on the same side in this battle. That gives me tremendous hope.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

I like to think that this time is an opportunity to tune back into inner child, and remember how it felt to be able to create in our rooms, and use time for whatever we feel like. I think everyone should take advantage of this break of sorts because we may never have this opportunity again. So, create, learn, find peace.. Take this gift, this present, and use it for something good.