March 27, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

Yes, I was supposed to go on an alternative spring break trip to Alabama to help build houses for Habitat for Humanity. The trip was cancelled due to the pandemic, so I mostly stayed home and tried to stay away from crowded places. Luckily, my best friend and roommate Laura Searle kept me company!

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was disappointed that I would no longer be able to see my friends in person, but I also was not surprised at the decision. I had heard a lot of other schools were doing the same, so I knew it was a matter of time that we decided to do the same.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

For the first week, I will be off campus in my apartment. However, I will be moving out mid-April to my parent’s house in Montgomery, TX because my lease ends then.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

Personally, I have never taken an online class, so I can’t really say what’s good or bad about it. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is currently taking graduate classes online, and it’s been a pretty rough experience for him due to the lack of support. However, my professors at St. Ed’s are really awesome and understanding, so I’m sure they will be very helpful during the rest of the semester.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

While I have always been sure to wash my hands, I have taken even more precautions in doing this. Unfortunately, it’s been difficult to buy Chlorox wipes and other cleaner, but I’ve made due with what I have and have been wiping down surfaces around my apartment at least once a day.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I am worried about catching the virus, as I’ve heard that it is very easily spread. However, I’m not so much concerned about me catching it, but instead being asymptomatic and passing it on to my parents, who have health conditions that can make the virus particularly dangerous for them. I plan on quarantining myself to my room when I return home.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

Luckily, I am fortunate to not know anyone close to me who has gotten it, but I do have friends who know people who have gotten it.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I have a lot of essays and homework to do for my final semester and I have also been preparing for grad school in the fall. Other than that, I’ve mostly been hanging out with my roommate, Facetiming with friends and family, and watching movies and TV.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I am only going out to go running and exercise or to get food. It’s sort of eerie how little traffic there is, especially for Austin! I do see a lot people walking outside and so far, everyone has been good at keeping their distance.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

I think knowing that this will be over eventually and that I will finally be able to see my friends and family is what is giving strength right now.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

I’ve definitely been feeling really sad and disappointed, especially since my commencement was postponed. In addition, I haven’t been able to see my friends in person for a while and knowing that it may be a while before I see them is definitely weighing on me.