March 24, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I had planned to dog-sit for a week, go on  hikes, and spend as much time out and about enjoying the weather and decompressing. Now I am sheltered indoors.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was happy that the university was taking steps to limit student exposure. We have a lot of infrastructure in place to make this happen, but it’s still a big step.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

My MBA courses are primarily online, so I am still at home as normal.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

Asynchronous lecturing makes it easy to access resources at any time, but the lack of dedicated lecture time places more of a burden on the student to stay on top of their education.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I’m role-playing a disaster movie survivor. No going outside, no social events. When I am outside, it’s impossible not to notice the quiet, the lack of people, and the general temporary absence of humanity.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

Not too worried. I’ve always had a robust immune system, but more importantly, I have access to and coverage for lifesaving healthcare should I fall ill. Not everyone can say the same.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

Yes.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

Video games, calls with loved ones, and heavy calisthenics!

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I’ve only left the house for essential groceries. It’s a little disheartening to see droves of older, at-risk people huddling up and not practicing distancing.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but sometimes tumultuous events catalyze social change. Maybe we may come out of this with more robust healthcare or some sort of social safety net.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

Dear future reader – did we learn from this? Did we give our fellow Americans the aid they needed? The healthcare they deserved? Educational resources free of crushing debts? I hope dearly that we learn the importance of these things in return for the turmoil their absence has caused.