March 22, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I planned to work, so that didn’t really change for me.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was disappointed. I do think it allows more flexibility in my schedule because I work a lot, but I like having a set schedule for school. It makes everyone more accountable. I will also miss seeing my professors. I look up to Dr. Glenn and Dr. Wilson as mentors, and I prefer meeting in person with them to talk about a paper or my plans after graduation.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

I will likely stay in my apartment. I live in student housing in west campus near UT, and the leases are pretty strict. I don’t think my complex will allow people to break their leases which extend until the end of July. I think that is ridiculous because many of my friends and I work in order to pay for our rent, and for people whose hours are being cut or are out of a job, it is unfair to expect them to be able to keep paying that amount. If I can get out of my lease, I may go back to Houston to stay with my dad for a few months because the cost of living in Austin is so high.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I’m worried about catching the virus because I don’t get paid time off at work since I’m part time. They told my coworkers and I that if we get it that they would have us laid off and file for unemployment. Then after about a month we would be rehired. I just think it’s ridiculous that there is no real safety net for hourly employees. People always say to keep enough money to last a couple months in savings, but for people that struggle to make ends meet as is, that’s nearly impossible.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I’m actually concerned that I will get it. I work in a nursing home as a server, so the residents are pretty high risk. Now we have to go into their apartment to deliver food because the restaurants are closed, and it’s hard for some of them to move around without assistance. This means that my coworkers and I are likely to catch the virus if any of the residents get it. The concierge desk takes our temperature before work, but that’s pretty much the only precaution they are taking for us.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

There’s not really many places to go out to right now. Some of my friends have already gone back to their parents houses. I go out to run or take a long walk to get out of my apartment, but businesses don’t allow you to stay inside.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

Americans tend to think that we are so much better than other countries, and this has led to a feeling of invincibility among citizens. Citizens say ‘oh coronavirus isn’t a big deal’ or ‘that’s not my problem.’ Spring breakers ignore travel warnings to get blackout drunk one last time or post enviable pictures on social media. Elected leaders already have pointed the finger at China, placing unnecessary blame on another country in order to deflect domestic issues and rally the base of xenophobes. ‘This is not racist,’ they proclaim, comparing it to the Spanish flu pandemic a century prior. Accusers don’t know their history very well though, because that pandemic started here and pissed off Spain. Similar resentment is stirring in China, threatening further deterioration of diplomatic relations.

This pandemic is showing the failure of our healthcare system. We should have had tests ready before it started spreading rapidly. Patients shouldn’t have to sit through financial counseling or fill out endless forms or make numerous calls to insurance providers just to get tested for the virus. We claim to have such a great medical system, yet fail to provide for those most in need. Workers with corona symptoms that don’t receive PTO have to choose whether to go into work & risk infecting several people or get severely behind on bills. There is no rational choice.