March 20, 2020

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was so heartbroken, I cried in front of my family. St Edward’s is my second home and I felt like I was cheated out of having a memorable rest of my semester. I also adore Austin and everything it has to offer. I was also very upset that I wouldn’t be able to spend time with my friends, since they all live in different cities than I do.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

I’ll be at home in Dallas for the remainder of the semester, which will be difficult since I associate home with relaxation rather than work, and I find it difficult to concentrate.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

I feel like I will be less motivated to complete my work since it is moved online, but I will try my hardest with trying to stay on top of my deadlines.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

It’s been so boring for the most part. I mostly stay at home to ensure that I’m not catching or spreading the virus. I’m attempting to stick to my daily routine but I usually leave the house to get my work done, but with the fear of the virus, I now just stay home.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I’m not too worried about getting the virus myself, but I’m more worried about my grandparents contracting it.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

No.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I’ve been practicing social distancing so I’ve been at home. To pass time, I’ve been watching so many movies! I’m trying to watch movies I’ve never seen before so I can prevent boredom, so I’ve been watching a new movie every night before bed.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I’ve gone out to the park to walk my dog, to the store to pick up some food and other essential items, or sometimes I’ll just sit outside in the backyard. It’s sort of haunting going out in public because it’s so empty, the stores are empty and the park was even deserted.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

I feel uncertainty more than anything else. My social media feed is filled with anxiety and uncertainty for the future, and every time I turn on the news it’s talking about the virus. It’s just been a very confusing time for everyone, and it feels like a social reset.