March 19, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

I was planning on going on a cruise. I had saved for years and was proud that I had paid for the trip on my own. I had to cancel the trip for obvious safety concerns. I decided to come home instead to be with family in El Paso.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I felt sad due given the routine I had built and all the plans I had; however, I felt it was the safest option and a smart decision.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

I have moved back home with my parents for the remainder of the semester in El Paso. This is a very big change from my apartment in Austin.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

Although we haven’t started, I don’t mind the idea of classes online. This is a time to establish self discipline and will help to build a routine.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

The change has been massive. I have established a routine; however, the routine is limited to be within my home. For the safety of my family and my community, I have been practicing CDC recommendations of social distancing. I have heavily relied on YouTube work out and ballet class videos to keep up my hobbies. Though it can be boring it is a appropriate measure to be taken.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I’m not too worried. My concern lies further in having the virus and subjecting someone who is high risk to it instead.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

No.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I watch work out and ballet class videos on YouTube. I have worked on studying for the LSAT. Trying new recipes.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I don’t go out.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

I have a great fear for the economy and what this means for the future of me and my family. I am also afraid an amazing opportunity I was given for the summer will be cancelled.