Twitter and Saudi Arabian Women’s Rights

For this blog entry I have found 3 different sources. The first article is about the one of the women that I have previously mentioned that was arrested for driving. This article, from the Times, discusses the transition seen in Saudi Arabia after the death of Kind Abdullah. It specifically discusses the story of a woman, named Loujain Al Hathloul, who drove illegally and was stopped by police. The police took her passport and refused to let her drive. She took to Twitter posting throughout the day about the experience as she sat in her car until she was arrested. The second article is a twitter page entitled @womens_rights. The account focuses on women’s rights in general throughout the Arab nations. She posts new information and discusses current events in women’s rights. The third article is an interview with Princess Reema Bint Bandar Al-saud and her views on technology. She feels it that social media is a strong driving force. What people say is heard immediately. It is making a very positive impact. Much like in chapter 9, The Media Revolution, from Battle for the Arab Spring, twitter has been a major driving force for activists. In The Media Revolution, Syrian activists harnessed Twitter to criticize the regime and rally protesters. In Saudi Arabia, women and men are using Twitter to spread awareness of the inequality women are facing. The use of Twitter has greatly impacted the battle for women’s rights by spreading information in the form of tweets about current events.

9 thoughts on “Twitter and Saudi Arabian Women’s Rights

1. I was unaware of how far feminism in Egypt has come. A lot of very good points were brought up about what they need to do to actually have rights in society. This presentation was well thought out, and I like how the presentation ended with a plan of action. That shows that you looked ahead and really put a lot of thought in. Well done.

2. I agree very much with what you said about taking our privalges here for granted. It’s happens daily and this blog and class remind me how fortunate we all are.

3. To hear about women’s inability to drive in Saudi Arabia, is staggering. I feel as though women and men should have the equal right and privilege to drive because, what’s the difference? Very interesting topic and blog entries. Good job!

4. Interesting to see the deployment of social media sources in the woman’s fight for equal rights. Hopefully the movement will lead to greater change within the nation.

5. I like that you focused on a particular story, Loujain Al-Hathloui (I hope I spelled that right!), to illustrate your topic. As well as the Saudi royal who spoke about technology.

Good job too connecting your topic to a perspective on globalization!

6. Good summation of the topic. I like the fact that you focused social media. As a growing technological world it is important to remember how powerful social media is, and that we can use it to help with social issues like women’s rights

7. Great job! Never thought about how some people do not have the right to drive. Additionally, you did a great job relating it to the globalization perspective! Interesting quotes used!

8. I did not know that all of the little issues were the causes of the big issues. Women not being able to drive is the cause of sickness, unemployment, and social injustice. To me driving abilities seem like such a small thing, but it is what is a major issue to an entire country.