General Saudi Arabia Women’s Rights

Two items I posted in Diigo this week are both centered around the general aspect of women’s rights in Saudi Arabia. I chose these two pieces because although I find the topic of women’s rights in Saudi Arabia interesting, I knew very little about the rules and regulations that are imposed on these women on a daily basis. In recent days, we have read about and discussed the changes in Tunisian women’s rights. However, Saudi Arabia is slow to make these same advances. The first item I posted to my Diigo account is a list of eleven things women in Saudi Arabia can’t do, from The Week. These rules include but aren’t limited to: vote in elections, drive a car and try on clothes when shopping. I was surprised at the laws imposed on these women. Fortunately, these laws might not forever be imposed on the women of Saudi Arabia. The second item I posted on my Diigo account is a video from the Economist titled Women’s Rights in Saudi Arabia: Driving Change. Women are starting to be able to go out in public without being accompanied by a man. There is also a huge change in the work force, prices are rising and men can no longer afford to be the only source of income in their homes allowing women to work in places they were initially forbidden from working in, such as law offices. There are many laws restricting women in Saudi Arabia, laws based off of an extreme Islamist view. As a class, we read about Tunisian’s modern changes but these changes were not embraced by everyone, even women. I feel that this will be the same, if not greater, in Saudi Arabia. Although I feel the laws should be abolished, as do many women in Saudi Arabia, it is these laws that also uphold years of tradition and changing them will be difficult and likely unwanted by many. We read a chapter in Battle for the Arab Spring, regarding the advances Tunisia has made and how they accomplished such advances. With access to the Tunisian League if Human Rights and Tunisian General Union of Labour, activists had a lot more to work with than what Saudi Arabia. I hope that one day Saudi Arabia will be able to make the changes they so greatly desire.

One thought on “General Saudi Arabia Women’s Rights

1. You wouldn’t ever think that someone would be restricted from driving. And it is crazy how much not driving has effected women. You would never know how big a deal this was until you looked at it.