Book Idea

Reflection

When I began thinking about my book concept, I knew that I wanted to make it personal. Not only personal, but I wanted it to reflect my body of work that I do outside of school. I also wanted to focus on a time sequence, as this is a concept I have not previously used in my art. I want it to be abstract, chronological, and personal.

A process that is very personal to me is bike riding. When I’m biking, time fractures and then becomes an arbitrary concept. I want to address that time is relevant, yet progressively becomes less of a significant measurement. Throughout my book, I want to focus on the sounds, sensations, and figures I see while biking. However, I want to convey a transcendental quality that I experience through this process. Time doesn’t exist and I go into a “dream.” I wanted to mark this transition throughout the explicit stating of time and difference in material. For example, the pages in reality would have a time stamp such as “6:45 pm” yet when that barrier between dream and reality is crossed, the time stamp would shift to “0:00”. For this book, it is important to me to convey my perspective of time and my opinions of the construct. I believe that time, in a sense, is arbitrary and I want to show that in my work. For the difference in material, I wanted to use a different printing material (probably treated plastic) to show this transition from reality to dream. Of course, this page would have to be in the middle as to not upset the pages created on paper. I also wanted to use varied color palettes between the two states to denote that denote their difference. For example, reality could consist of cool colors and the dream could consist of warm colors.

Currently, I do not have a conclusion to my sequence, but I am working on this book every day to ensure I’ve created something that’s worth my time. I do not have progress pictures of the book, but I do have concept art for the title. I do not want it to be typical, liner typography. I want something unusual and unconventional Here you can see that the text is not only layered in an odd way, but the shape of the text is not as precise an conventional fonts. Overall, I want this characteristic to remain constant in the sequence. I am looking forward to completing this project and learning how to use InDesign and other Adobe applications.