02 Harmony

Reflection

I am now familiar with the landscape of South Congress from our initial assignment, yet I found that collecting objects was more challenging than composing images.

When it comes to art, I love a good challenge

South Congress itself is still an odd environment to me, but it’s interesting to observe how I break it down to find what I need for assignments. I look at the ground rather than shops, and in nooks instead of the main sidewalk. I had to ask people for flyers and free materials that they had in their shops-which felt sort of odd to me. I did have an interesting experience while collecting items though. I told a street magician the prompt of the project, and he offered to give me one of his cards if I watched him perform. Not only did he give me the card, but he also gave me bottles to use in my collage. I am thankful for the connections and challenges that accompanied the new prompt.

Scans

For my found objects, I mainly used newspaper clippings, flyers, bottles, and stickers. Scanning was in interesting process, especially with 3D objects, such as the glass bottles. Two of my objects are missing, as I cut them before scanning.

Collage

For my collage, I focused on form, color, and emotion. I wanted to express certain feeling through the colors and forms I used in each collage. For the first, I aimed to evoke a calm, regulated feeling through the use of linear shape, and cool colors. or the other, I wanted to convey a sense of chaos and pain. As opposed to the first, I used jagged, unfamiliar shapes and warm, almost violent colors. I wanted to include a personal element in my collage, so I incorporated old paintings and illustration into my design.

The collage project felt less restricting to me, and I feel as if i was able to thrive within the challenge. I am excited to move onto digital, as that is something mostly unfamiliar to me. However, I am determined to succeed.