Blog Post #12

Kim Garza, the assistant professor in the department of graphic design, had some very interesting things to share with the class in our seminar. I liked how she expressed the openness and unending opportunities there are in design because it showed her true interest in it and I could tell she was passionate about her work. The film and music collaboration she has been creating with her husband is very inspiring to me because I am really interested in film and music as two separate genres, and together I think they have the power to create a really powerful art form.

Tammie Rubin’s work is vey unique and intriguing. I like how she said her roots, growing up in Chicago, influence the structure of her art. I am a really big fan of letting memories and the places you grew up show through in your work, so that was really inspiring and cool to see. The sculptures themselves are really funky and fun to look at, and seem delicately constructed despite the vivid color of each object.

I liked the psychological importance James Sheran, professor at UT, placed on photography and it’s ability to capture things that are overlooked. I was interested in the concept that people do things that they don’t even realize, that are second nature, but when those actions are photographed, viewers are forced to see them and recognize the things they do every day that they don’t think twice about.

Class Reflection

I personally really enjoyed this seminar. It was encouraging and enlightening, and kept me motivated to make work outside of my classes. I also got a cool perspective on the artist community in Austin and within St. Edward’s, which is encouraging to me because that means I am surrounded by people who know what they’re doing, and can help me figure out what I’m doing with my life and my education in visual art. It’s been real, y’all. Thanks for taking the time to help make us better students and shape us into more aware artists. Besides the time of the class (Monday afternoon), I don’t have any complaints about the quality of the course.