Blog Post #1

Chloe Curiel
Visual Studies Seminar
August 29th, 2015

Part 1

1. The first article makes the point that innovators must attain certain qualities and abilities that artists have to be successful. These characteristics, such as their childlike outlook or their extreme humanistic nature, have the ability to bring life and form to the work of entrepenuers and enhance their creative process. The second article presents the major similarities between artists and entreprenuers in that they are driven by their passions and ambitions. Gupta also states that a network and sense of community are both necessary to keep artists and innovators grounded, motivated, and creating at their full potential.

2. Entrepreneurs are constantly thinking of ways to transform ideas into reality, and constantly face trial and error during their creative process. Artists should adopt this level of persistence and problem solving into their creative process as well in order to succeed in their work field. Another skill that would be of great use to artists is the ability innovators have to network and form a team of support that aids in making ideas tangible. Organization and logical problem solving are entreprenueral skills that have the ability to turn failure into true art and allow others join the mental, visual, and spiritual conversation.

3. I would agree that artists have the ability to be entrepreneurs, but not necessarily that all artists have the business skills and sustainilbility that are both vital to survival as a working artist. However, the creative process necessary for creating art can be similar to the mindset of an innovator in that they both have a problem in need of solving, and various avenues that could either lead in success or failure. For both occupations, this problem could be a lack of supplies, time, or ideas, and with each set back comes a detour that leads back to the original purpose and intent.

4. The first characteristic of artists listed in the article was that they are inevitably prone to change and reinvent concepts so that their work is original and fresh. Looking ahead and seeking to develop new material is a necessary part of the creative process as an artist and innovator.This ability goes along with the skill of taking things out of context and holding them up to a different light to glean other information from them. The ability to connect emotionally and deeply with people and things is what roots artists’ work in identity and gives them the childlike desire to share, which is another quality listed in the first article. I agree that artists work best when there are guidelines and limits to their final results, and that these restrictions help form the story of the piece and give it unique qualities. It is also apparent that true artists and innovators let their work and every day lives bleed together into a natural and necessary blend that keeps ideas and creativity flowing.

5. I might add to Leberecht’s fairly adequate list by saying that artists are usually openminded and welcoming to the natural turns and twists of creating. In contrast to this quality, artists can also be visionaries. Often, when there is a vision from the beginning, they will not stop creating until they reach fulfillment of their vision. This is often because there is a specific message they want their work to convey, and the choices they make are in light of that purpose.

Part 2
1. Based off of the grit test, I have 4 out of 5 when it comes to grit. However, I sometimes have trouble completely finishing projects because I am afraid that the final product will be disatisfacatory or inconsistent with my original plan.
2. To increase my level of grit, I can increase my persistence and attack the project with a new outlook so I can commit to completing my work without getting overwhelmed.