02.5 preSequence

The fourth film, Last Year in Marienbad, has an unusual sequence of events, this however, contributes to the mood and meaning of the film as a whole. It mostly alternates between past and present as the man (no names of the characters are included in the film) speaking to the woman about what happened between them at about that time to previous year. At first , I thought it would be boring, what will the sluggish opening shots of the hotel and the somewhat depressing description of it. This was followed by the guests watching a conclusion of a play of two lovers deciding to be together. I later would connect the events of the play as a sort of foreshadowing. After the play, the film shifted from several people’s conversations, until finally it settles on the one that the movie will be about: a couple dancing. The man is insisting that they met the previous year, but the woman insists that she’s never seen him before. I began to find it engaging when I found a pattern of alternation between events. I think this contributed to the confused, mysterious mood of the film. Also, certain scenes repeated. That made me wonder what was the significance of that scene that it was repeated in this instance in the conversation. When these patterns started to pick up, I was engrossed in piecing together what really happened, which is the point of a mystery movie. In the end though, the woman finally decides to leave her husband or significant other with her lover, who was the man speaking with her for most of the film. This can be connected to the conclusion of the play from the beginning, which I thought was just a random, scene setting kind of thing.