Mid Term Assessment Essay

CONSISTENT

Coming into this project I was a little hesitant because it was my first time working in illustrator. During this project I learned a lot about all the different components of illustrator through the time I spent in class and out of class. Whenever I wasn’t sure how to do something in illustrator I would Google it and or watch YouTube videos, they helped out a lot.

MEDIUM

The process that you made us go through I felt like really helped me understand where we were going with this project and the steps we took in each iteration of symbols all came together in the end. Talking about what makes an icon an icon and what makes a symbol a symbol helped with knowing what we were shooting for in the end. When trying to decide what I wanted my symbols to be based around I automatically thought of plants and gardening, because there is so much little details that goes into taking care of a garden that I though it would be a good idea to crate symbols that represented each part.

USEFUL

During the critiques of our work I paid attention not only to what people had to say about my work, but what people had to say about others as well. I felt like critiques were really good to learn from others and my self. I also used that time to examine other people’s work and try to pull some ideas out of what I saw and incorporate it into my own work.

MEDIUM

I really tried pushing myself to create symbols that where somewhat complex, especially for the last 3 that we made into stickers. I also worked on each symbol outside of class time and tried to perfect it as much as I could. When it came to combining the paths into one whole image, I think that was the hardest part of the processes illustrator wise.

LOTS OF EXTRA STUFF

Other expert expertise comes from going to art shows and creating some of my own artwork outside of class. I recently went to the Texas Contemporary Art Fair where I was able to draw a lot of inspiration. Going to art shows and museums helps whenever I feel stuck or uninspired. I recently have been slacking when it comes to creating my own artwork, but I plan on getting back into it and just messing around with whatever comes to mind.

MATURE

I feel like I am pretty mature. I am able to get all my work done and turn it in on time. Over the years I have learned how to work in a stressful environment and how to balance out schoolwork and fun. I know how to balance out my time so I won’t overwhelm my self in the end.

WARM

The classroom climate consists of everyone participating in the different exercises. Everyone including my self pays attention in class and offers up insightful feedback when asked. I feel like it is a comfortable place to be in to grow as designers together and learn together. Since I haven’t had much experience in using illustrator, I felt liking other peoples work pushed me to work harder and see what I was capable of doing.

screen-shot-2016-10-16-at-5-02-45-pm

screen-shot-2016-10-16-at-5-04-25-pm