SEMINAR VISU #10

Part 1

Sadly, I missed the visiting speakers. So, I’m doing the extra blog post. Last friday I got to attend the workshop of Kelcey Towell. I’ve never been to a workshop like this before, but it immediately captured mi attention. The whole experience of using this stencil created as her master’s thesis was just mind-blowing (Here’s the link to the history of the LetterMaker in full depth along with some interviews).I felt as if I could keep on using it for a whole week straight without getting bored or running out of ideas. One of the most important things I got out of this workshop was how you can create something out of anything. Kelcey Towell got the idea when her grandfather gave her a stencil and she just started thinking how you don’t need every single letter in the alphabet. Instead, you can combine other letters: like using a G to also make a C. It inspired me to create something I could sell in the future instead of just focusing on working for a design firm.

Here are some images of the workshop:

Part 2

One of the questions I have is connected with the phrase that “the student surpasses the teacher”. So, have you ever seen some of your student’s work and were amazed by the quality and creativity of it? Another one would be how to surpass the expectations of professors when creating a project.