Creativity and Making: Tarantino

Pulp Fiction is the epitome of excellent cinematography. Quentin Tarantino makes use of various camera shots. For example, there’s the use of low angles where the camera is placed inside the trunk of a car. Another one seen throughout the whole movie is when the camera is placed behind the actors, following them through their actions. There were also lots of close ups, which added to the tension of some scenes. Summed up, the movie has a very distinctive cinematography which should be appreciated when watching the film.

In addition to the cinematography, the movie makes a different usage of time. For example, a traditional movie would have the plot in chronological order. Instead of doing this, the plot is all over the place. We’re presented with three different scenarios at different times throughout the movie. For example, Vincent was killed by Butch. However, the movie ends with him still being alive because that action happened before everything. So, instead of continuing the opening scene of the movie, they cut it in half and placed it at the end of the movie. Despite that the scenarios are different, as the movie progresses they start to merge within each other. I find interesting how the producers did this, since at the beginning of the movie I felt lost. The usage of time in this movie is interesting as it doesn’t follow the norm.

Furthermore, in order to present these different scenarios, they used transitions. These transitions were basically a black screen with text that said something on the lines of “The Bonnie Situation”. While this may not be the best transition, I believe it was effective in the sense that it made us as viewers understand the way they wanted to present the plot to us. Since the plot wasn’t in chronological order, this was the best way to portray the different scenarios. The way transitions are made are also important as it gives the personality to the movie.

Lastly, it may only be me but I found that every situation took longer than usual. For example, when they went to the restaurant Jack Rabbit Slim’s, I was surprised how long that scene was. Thinking back at it, I realize that they’re different scenarios but the events that happen in each are less. Because of this, they can make each scene longer than it normally would be in a traditional movie. The miracle scene felt longer than I anticipated, due to the fact that there aren’t many other things happening.

To conclude, I found the whole movie interesting because of the plot and the cinematography. The usage of time and the way the whole movie is framed is also clever, as it gives a different feeling to the movie. I would also argue how it ended with a cliffhanger about Vincent’s death and perhaps Jules did actually retire and therefore wasn’t killed too. The transitions used throughout the whole movie were also interesting, as they added to the personality of the movie. The non-linear order of events is something to be kept in mind when doing my last two projects.