Creativity and Making: Ritcher

To begin with, the whole film followed a sort of rhythm and focused on the transitions. It varied from slower to faster in some parts. The first ones just reminded me of the simple transitions used when creating a PowerPoint Presentation, which were only varied by some being horizontal and others vertical. As the film progressed, I noticed another pattern. Now it wasn’t just changing horizontally or vertically, it was a series of rectangles transitioning. Ranging from one rectangle to there being several at the same time, I believe it gave a sense of tension.

A transition, in my personal opinion, is a change that sort of prepares the mood for something else. For example, when you’re watching a play, the usage of curtains prepares the stage for a new scene. When watching this, I had no idea what it was going to be about. So, during the first transition, I kept waiting for something to start. Until about 15 seconds in, I realized there isn’t something else. The transitions where the whole part of the project. In a way, it felt tense because of the abrupt cut between some transitions. When changing to black film and vice versa all of a sudden it can be shocking or unexpected. Also, some rectangles suddenly appeared without any notice, also adding to the tension.

Taking this into consideration, this made me wonder what transitions I will use for both my last two projects. The Puzzle Book has smoother transitions I believe, since you can go back and forth when watching the book. The Artist Book, on the other hand, is more difficult. I would have to think about what the next page will be and how it will relate to the previous one. I might take something from this short film, which is the gradual increase of intensity. In my case, my artist book description was that the theme is going to be about the different addictions that everyone has. It could start off with simple or harmless addictions, such as reading books or drinking too much water. As it continues, it could intensify into harmful ones, such as smoking or drinking too much. How a piece transitions into different elements is something to be aware of.

To conclude, this piece was interesting to me not just because of the visuals but also because of what it made me think about. By realizing the importance of transitions, it can help when creating something. I believe this can also be applied to other things, such as relationships or day to day life. The sudden changes of film or appearances of rectangles added to the tension felt when watching this short film. This might also be one of those pieces where every person watching it can interpret it in a different way.