Blog Post #5

PART 1

The two photographs are iPhone photos taken fro my Photography 1 class. The goal of the assignment was to use only our phones to take a series of self-portraits that had interesting vantage points. We were told to focus on vantage points that were unexpected, while also trying to take a photograph that encompassed our personality.

Self Portrait 1

These two photographs are particularly successful in my mind because they follow the natural progression of my artwork outside of class, while also being interesting to look at. I think that the first photograph definitely makes use of an interesting vantage point, and I took particular precautions surrounding the focus and depth-of field. I wanted the photograph to be interesting but also not overwhelmingly conceptual. The second photograph builds off of the first, which I consider absolutely necessary to a successful series or assignment. Both photographs are of my process during one evening of water color painting, but they are very different. I believe that both are accurate representations of me as an artist and as a person doing what I love to do, but also are interesting in a technical way.

Self Portrait 2

PART 2

Currently, in Photography 1 (my only creative studio class), we are learning how to process film and make contact sheets. Right now, we are focused almost purely on the technical process of film processing, and the rolls we’re shooting are not supposed to be meaningful in any way.

What is the strongest aspect of this work?
The strongest aspect of my work with film developing, in my opinion, has been my ability to remain relaxed and to work through problems as they arise calmly.

What is the weakest aspect?
The weakest aspect, and one I am not proud of, is what I’m shooting. While we were told to make our first rolls “trash” rolls, I feel like because my processing has been successful, I’m disrespecting the process. I feel that because I am developing my rolls successfully, I should be taking the time to shoot real photographs.

How can the composition or form be improved?
As of now, I’m mostly experimenting with depth of field and aperture within my photographs. They are mundane photographs, but I change the aperture between each in order to look back and analyze. I feel like while I’m learning how to process film, I might as well be learning more about taking photographs in general.

How can the project be strengthened conceptually?
I feel lost when I’m taking my photographs. I feel like I should be focused more on my photographs, but also do not want to be disappointed with myself if I destroy my film somehow. I’m still learning, so I need to remind myself of that. I need to make my photos mean something to me while also respecting the assignments.

How can the project be strengthened technically?
Technically, so far, I need to focus on my exposures. Although my processing has gone well, I can tell by looking at my negatives that the exposures are unreliable. I need to learn more about how to use a grey card so that when I do start shooting meaningful photographs, they are done well.

Additional notes.
Processing film has been an absolutely wonderful experience for me! After processing my first roll of film, I felt very sure of my choice to pursue and learn more about photography.