ARTS 1311 Reading #2

1. Based upon the reading how are priorities set for specific projects? Or in other words, what is it that determines the guidelines for given projects?

Though the perspective as a designer, guidelines are everything. In fact, guidelines can help the designers because without guidelines, the limits are endless, which can ironically lead to issues in terms of continuity and chaos. With guidelines, the designer can then narrow down their vision while also becoming limitless within the directed formation.

1. How does the artist/designer approach decision making differently or do they?

For both artists and designers, decision making comes from guidelines and from their given materials. With proper instruction, direction, and material, designers are capable of creating visual masterpieces. Although artists typically have more “freedom”, I see their decision making similarly to those of designers.

Personal Reflection

1. How do you make decisions? Are they based upon anything substantial? Why or why not?

I am a very timely and systematic person. I literally plan out my entire day, my entire week, and if I have enough events planned already, then I also tend to even plan for next week. That being said, I make decisions based on how it correlates with my plans and time. And since I consider myself a designer, I base my work off of guidelines and whether I think it works or not.

1. How do you know when something is “good” or working?

I know when something is good or working if I find it visually and conceptually.  If it not only catches my eye but if the overall meaning behind something is symbolic and easy for everyone to capture, then I feel like the given work is “good” or successful.

1. How do you rework projects to make them work?

Failure is essential in terms of prgression. Sometimes to take 3 steps forward you must first take a step back and learn from past mistakes. That being said, if I get some inspiration from other peers’ work or if I simply get critiqued on my personal work, I am able to have a clearer understanding as to what I need to rework or what parts need significant improvements.