VISU 1100: Blog Post #5

Part One:

_MG_9508.CR2

This first picture from a project that focused on how to actually take a picture, focusing on the ideals of Gestalt. Containment was a huge element to the picture above, and I really liked how clear the picture came out in the reflection, and how the actual ground remained so out of focus. I tried to look at the different elements of Gestalt separately, finding images that contained more of one thing than another, and that clearly happened with the above.

_MG_4025This second picture came from my Foundation Art and Design class, where we had to study the different element of line, and play around with the effects that line could have. This was the finished product, although the beginnings of the project can be seen behind it. I mainly focused on the negative space that could be achieved with the multiple lines that I was given, and experimented with the sheer chaos of overlapping those lines.

Part Two:

1) The strongest aspect of my work from the Gestalt project was probably the actual composition of all of the images that I put together. I think that post-production turned out really well.

2) My weakest aspect is by far the images that I ended up grouping together in the final product. I definitely did not give myself enough time to properly edit myself, and I think my selections have suffered because of that.

3) I think if the final product is going to be a grouping together of images to demonstrate one compositional aspect, then I need to take photos whose compositions are all fairly similar. I don’t think that the pictures I chose were very similar in that regard; they all demonstrated the same principle, but in different ways, which draws away from their similarity.

4) Conceptually, it really could have used better grouping. That would prove my understanding of the Gestalt principles, and would have made the whole gallery of photos make more sense in relation to one another.

5) Technically, I think that the individual photographs themselves need more explanation. The layout of the gallery felt rather limited to me, but I don’t know enough about how the blog site works in order to change that.